one.

Song of the chapter: Waiting For Love by Avicii

This is not where I had planned to be, sitting in the principal's office with my dad as he explains what I did and the extent of my punishment due to previous behavioral issues. I guess I shouldn't say that I wasn't planning on being here, it's probably more accurate to say that I hoped I wouldn't be here. 

"So, I've come to the decision that Olivia will be attending Saturday detentions. Hopefully she will learn something from this experience and realize that her actions do have consequences." My dad nods, glancing at me with a mix of anger and disappointment in his eyes. I know he's gonna be on my ass as soon as we get into the car. The principal fills out a slip with the details of my life sentence and gives it to my dad. He dismisses us and I follow behind my dad silently down the hallway. As we round the corner by the front door, I notice two people walking past. Jason Scott, Angel Grove's star football player. His face looks a little beat up and he's got a house arrest anklet on, his dad following angrily behind him. Maybe I'll see him tomorrow for detention. 

The door to the school opens and I slowly make my way down the stairs, dreading the ride home. I wish Jen was here, she'd make it a little less shitty. 

"I don't get it, Olivia. I honestly don't get it." He slams his car door shut and shoves the key into the ignition. I stay silent, pulling my seat belt across my lap and buckling it. "Why can't you act like a normal kid, why do you have to constantly pull stunts like this? Was it that boyfriend of yours?" I cringe at the thought of my ex-boyfriend, who I thought was a good guy. Turns out you only know what a person wants you to know. We pull out of the school parking lot and begin the familiar journey to the house. "I know you think it's funny but it's really not. What happens when you get expelled? What happens when other schools won't take you because they know what kind of kid you are?"

"Yeah, I get it, I'm a disappointment and I need to clean up my act. I guess I just didn't have very good role models around while I was growing up." His fists clench tightly around the steering wheel.

"The way your mother and I acted is no excuse for the shit you do now." Is he right? Is it my fault that I act out? Why can't I just be normal? "When we get home I want you in your room until dinner. You come down, eat, and then you go straight back to your room. Understand?" I glare out the window at the boring houses that we drive by. "Do you understand?" I wish I lived somewhere else. Anywhere but here. "Olivia Grace, answer me!" My eyes squeeze shut as I sink into my seat and breathe through my nose.

"I understand," I mutter as the car pulls into the garage. I immediately unbuckle myself and quickly dash into the house before the car is even shut off. My feet stomp loudly through the kitchen where Jen is cooking something.

"Hey Olivia, how'd-" I march straight up the stairs, ignoring Jen as I enter my room. I shut the door behind me while resisting the urge to slam it and flop down on my bed, letting all of my teenage girl emotions come rolling out with my tears. My pillow case becomes soaked and lightly stained with mascara as I lay there, silently sobbing. I miss my mom. She wasn't the best parent, but I miss her.