seven.

Song of the chapter: World Gone Mad by Bastille

"Olivia, Jason Scott is here for you!" Jen yells from the bottom of the stair case. I take one last look in the mirror. I know I'm technically going to a funeral and I'm supposed to be solemn and sad, but I look good in black. The black fit and flare dress hugs my torso nicely while flowing out past the waist and stopping just above the knees. My grey wool coat complements it nicely and my hair flows naturally over my shoulders. I grab my phone and my coin, heading down stairs and listening to the soft click of my black wedges on the stairs.

"Are you..." Jason's voice trails off as he looks at me. Isn't that supposed to happen while you're walking down the stairs in your prom dress, not a funeral dress? I shrug.

"It's all I had." I smile softly, ushering him out the door. Jen yells goodbye as I close the door behind me and follow Jason towards his dad's car.

"It looks-You look great..." I smile softly.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Scott." I climb into the car and smile at his little sister. The car takes off as rain drips down the window, settling my growing uneasy feeling about being at a cemetery. Sure, I didn't know these men, but Jason's dad worked with them and you never feel particularly good about being in a cemetery.

The Saint Andrews Cemetery sign creeps up faster than I had anticipated, and I start to feel anxious. I don't know why, I shouldn't feel this way. Should I? The car stops and I open the door, climbing out and feeling a rain drop hit my cheek. Jason opens up an umbrella and steps closer to me, shielding me from the sky. His free hand gently slips into mine as we follow his dad and his sister to where the fishermen are being buried. Jason asked me to come with him for an unknown reason, but I agreed regardless.

We stand in silence as people come up to talk about the two men, most likely family members and close friends. You can really hear the heartbreak and the pain they feel as they talk about fond memories, old stories, or they just express how much they cared about these men and how much they will be missed.

Eventually, they begin to lower the caskets into the ground and we begin to leave so that the family can bury their loved ones in peace. Jason and I walk through the rows of graves and I'm careful as to where I step. I may be a bitch sometimes but when it comes to respecting the dead and their families, that's very important to me. I silently read some of the names and years on the head stones, finding ones as old as a woman who was born in the mid 1800's.

As I'm reading the names, one sticks out to me and locks up my joints. Jason doesn't notice until his arm is pulled back as he tries to take another step.

"Vi?" 'Grace Joy Giles. Born November 15, 1975. Passed June 27, 2008. Loving Mother and Wife. You will be missed dearly. You will be loved in death as you were in life. Cancer may have taken you from the world, but not from our hearts.' My eyes sting as the world around me grows dark. That can't be her, can it? Would my dad really lie to me all this time? "Olivia?" My head snaps up to meet Jason, and I shake the thoughts from my mind.