five.

Song of the chapter: Never Going Back by The Score

I smile as I race down the sidewalk, using my newly found super-speed to get myself home. I didn't want to bother Kim for a ride home so I took advantage of my new powers. I watch people pass by slowly, unaware of me as I dart past them.

Angel Grove seems like a cute, peaceful town. It holds so many secrets and so much pain. I wish I could leave. Jason and I should've left when we had the chance. My mind wanders back to earlier today when me and Billy fell into the opening in the ground, when Jason jumped down and made sure I was okay. A smile pulls at my lips and my face heats up. Why am I such a girl?

I spot my dad's car and Jen's car in the driveway, so I climb through my bedroom window and shut it behind me. I put on dry clothes and flop down into my bed, shutting my eyes and falling asleep.

***

I walk into the house happy to be out of school for the day, setting my bag down and checking the time on my phone. Jason said he'd be at the mines around four, so I still have about twenty minutes before I need to head out.

"Olivia?" My dad yells from the living room.

"Yeah?"

"Come here." My brows furrow, wondering what I possibly could've done this time. I slowly wander into the living room, leaning on the door frame. "Where were you last night?"

"I was out with some friends and I lost track of time-"

"How are you always so careless?" He asks, taking a sip of his water. I let out a small, sarcastic laugh. "I don't really think it's funny. You promised that you would do better this year, you told me you would try your hardest. Yet here you are, skipping school, acting out, coming home way after Jen and I go to bed for god's sake!" He yells.

"I'm sorry that I'm not perfect, okay? I am truly sorry that I am not some golden child that you can wave around like a trophy and say 'look at what I raised.' I'm sorry, that's just not me." My voice cracks slightly, and I glare at him from across the room.

"I thought you'd grow up this year. I thought you'd learn to act like a decent human being."

"I am growing up, just not the way you want me to. You can't relive your life through me, that's not how this works." My eyes gloss over and I blink a few times to push the tears back down.

"Get out of my house. I don't want to see you right now." I shove my phone in my pocket, drop my bag on the floor and nod.

"Gladly." I turn on my heel, speeding out of the house and getting into my car. My eyes land on the denim jacket sitting in my passenger's seat and I slip it on, starting the engine and pulling out of the driveway. I guess I'm showing up a little early, Jason. Hope that's okay.