Chapter 3

"Which one do you like, Mannon?" P asked, taking a step back so she could fully view both paintings.

"I really like the one with the flowers," Mannon decided.

"Okay, we'll take it." P used a credit card that would charge the White House Fine Arts Committee for the Wilson-era painting. She planned on hanging the new edition in the red room, in which she had used a lot of other pieces from the 20s and 30s.

"Thank you so much," P insisted to the antique store clerk, who seemed a little starstruck. P took Mannon and Bens' hands and led her children out onto the street.

P had arrived with Mannon and Ben in Palm Beach just an hour earlier. She had insisted that they visit a few antique shops before they met Bobby at their estate. Unfortunately, due to P's pregnancy, the trip was made by car. She wished that somehow it was safe to fly- there were so many opportunities the First Lady had been forced to turn down- but even the presidential doctor couldn't find a safe way for a woman in her third trimester to fly.

"Mrs. Conoroy, this way," Mr. George- P's secret service agent and friend- directed. P followed him to the car that was parked on the side of the road and the first family ducked in discretely. Somehow they had managed to evade a crowd. The trip wasn't announced, like it usually was, and P took a mental note that she wouldn't ever allow the White House to announce her personal trips again.

"Mr. George, I was wondering if you would go shopping for me on Worth Avenue later today."

P's head agent glanced back at her in the rearview mirror. "Of course, Mrs. Conoroy. Can I ask why?"

"Because I can't go out without making a scene, I was thinking maybe you could pick up some new clothes for me. You spend so much time with me, I figured you know what I like well enough."

P smiled coyly when Mr. George laughed. "Of course, Mrs. Conoroy."

"I'm sure it wasn't in the job description of a secret service agent."

"I never bought dresses for President Randall," Mr. George admitted, referring the the president before Bobby.

P assumed that when Mr. George was assigned to her the past November he was less than excited. Guarding the First Ladies most likely had a reputation for being the most boring assignment. P personally thought Mr. George enjoyed spending time with her and the children and the unpredictable schedule. P and Mr. George were very similar, around the same age, with children the same age, and a love for outdoor activities and family.

The black armored car took them away from the antique store and towards Banana Cabana. The beautiful estate was among many other gated, ocean front mansions on the peninsula of Palm Beach. P and the rest of the Conoroys spent the winter months down in Palm Beach to get away from the bitter cold of Connecticut. Bobby's parents, Jan, and most of the other Conoroy brothers owned homes in close proximity of each other, and it was always a lot of fun boating, water skiing, and playing tennis in the warm weather.

In the early September weather, P decided that she and the kids should go down to spend some time with Bobby on the ocean. Jan and her kids were flying down to meet them, and P had planned for a fun weekend on the ocean with everyone.

"Mommy, look!" Ben shrieked, pointing out the window of the car. The tall palm trees that lined the brick drive of Banana Cabana towered in the distance, filling everyone with excitement. A few agents waved from the new guard station at the end of the drive as the car pulled through the electric gates.

"Unbuckle me, please!" Ben shrieked with excitement.

P and the kids, flanked by Mr. George and the kid's agents, rushed out of the car. Mannon and Ben immediately ran to the bubbling fountain in the middle of the drive, their favorite place to play. P told Mr, George she didn't need him to follow her, so she left the kids outside and went inside alone.