Chapter 8

"Poppy?" P asked softly into the phone.

"Oh- P, it's so good to talk to you!" the queen gushed. "I couldn't stand how badly the meeting went!"

"Me either!" P replied. "I like it when our countries get along," she added lightly.

"So do I! I just have so much going on lately, with-" the queen lowered her voice- "Will and all."

P nodded to herself, taking a few steps around the Truman balcony, gazing out over the rolling lawn. "I'm sure it's so hard, I can't imagine."

"I just had a meltdown, I admit it was out of character but I just can't handle all of the stress!"

"I knew exactly how you feel. Ever since we came into this house my family has been crumbling," P added quietly. Her usually flawless posture was slumped and her dress was wrinkled.

"Bobby told me about how the- shooters- were attempting to hit all of you," Poppy said sadly. "I don't know how you are so strong."

"What?" P questioned, her brows knotted together.

"I- Bobby told me how when Michael was killed the two assassins were trying to hit you, Bobby, and Jan as well." Poppy sounded wary.

"When did he tell you that?" P demanded.

"Yesterday- P, I think I've said too much!" Poppy urged.

"I have to go- it isn't you fault my husband hides thing a from me," P insisted as she slammed the White House phone onto the charger.

The First Lady flew from the residence and down to the oval office. Her husband was preparing to leave on a short trip to Chicago when she burst into the office.

"What is this I hear that those psychos were trying to kill all four of us?" P snapped at Bobby.

The president looked up from his desk in surprise. "What?"

"You heard me! Have you been hiding this from me the whole time?" P asked, her voice cracking.

"P, I didn't mean for you to know. I just found out- the men admitted to it just last week while they were being interrogated again before their trials."

Michael's murderers- two Russian radicals- had been detained shortly after the shooting. They were taken to a maximum security prison far away from DC, and it was discovered the only one bullet caused the fatal shot, however, the other man was most likely going to be put away for life for conspiracy. But suddenly, P felt as though her closure with the murder was shattered with the news.

"What did they say?" she asked brokenly.

"They said that they were attempting to kill the four of us. Four shots were fired, only one hit Michael." Bobby's face was blank.

P noticed her mouth was hanging open. Her heart was pounding, and she leaned heavily against the Resolute desk. "So- we all survived and Michael didn't? I always thought because he had such a huge part in the war..."

"They wanted him? No, P. They wanted all of us. They hated me and they hated him and you and Jan are almost as important."

P closed her eyes and felt as though her knees were going to give in. "Does Jan know?"

"I haven't told her," Bobby said quietly.

"You have to. You can't let it come out before she knows." P rubbed her temples before standing straight again.

"Should we call her together?" Bobby asked.

"I think you should invite her over, its something she needs to hear in person." P put her hands on her hips and sighed. "Have her come up here whenever you can. Just call me down."