Chapter 12

"He said that he wants me to tell you that it was all a misunderstanding," Poppy added, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, a misunderstanding." P sighed. "Well I suppose I can't avoid him any longer."

"I can have him room at the other end of the palace for the night, and you can stay with me," Poppy suggested with a grin.

"That sounds inviting," P laughed, "but I need to face my problems."

"Elsie told me his flight is getting in at 8," Poppy glanced at her watch. "So we have a few more hours. What would you like to do?"

P frowned. "Hm, do you have stables here?"

"The Royal Mew- it's where all of the horses are trained for official ceremonies, but we keep or family horses there as well to keep them exercising."

"Why don't we go for a ride? I haven't been since before I was pregnant, and I miss it."

"Of course! I'll call a car and have the horses brought out to the countryside. Lets go!"

P dressed quickly in some riding clothes supplied by the palace. Jan was eager to join in, and in a matter of minutes P, Poppy, and Jan were being escorted to a waiting car outside of the palace.

"This will be so much fun, I have been trapped inside for days," Poppy commented.

"Jan and I both competed as children, I hope you'll be able to keep up with us," P joked, grinning at the princess.

"I'll have you know I took lessons three times a week until I was 14," Poppy sniffed, trying to keep a straight face.

P felt happier than she had in days, the children were at Buckingham Palace playing with their cousins and their royal friends, she was going to get some fresh air with her best friends, and Bobby was out of her mind for the moment. She glanced out the window and realized that the small motorcade had arrived at their destination.

"It's beautiful out here, Poppy!" Jan gushed.

Rolling green hills with lush grass waving in the wind backed up to thick woods. A few small, thin brooks lined with gray rocks broke up the landscape, their water clear and bubbling. "My family bought it a few years ago, it's the perfect distance from the palace and the guard has made sure it is perfectly secure for us."

P and the others climbed from the car, breathing in the crisp, cool air. The First Lady buttoned up her gray wool riding coat and turned at the sound of tires on gravel. A trail of 3 trucks toting trailers pulled to a stop, and the respective drivers led horses over to the women.

"Jan, why don't you take Lightning," Poppy suggested, motioning to a beautiful white horse. "I'll take my usual, Dashing."

P looked to the remaining horse. It had sleek, black fur and a long mane. Something in her chest twinged painfully. "This is Lace, P," Poppy introduced. "She's very gentle."

P's arms felt like lead as she reached for the horse's soft face. A black horse almost identical to this one had followed Michael's casket at his funeral. A rush of emotions overcame the First Lady, and she struggled not to cry. "Well let's get going," P managed to force out. Mr. George and the other secret service agents watched closely and nervously as P and Jan climbed onto their horses. The agents were most definitely on edge, and she happened to know Mr. George's particular distaste for her riding horses. He couldn't ride himself, and felt that he couldn't protect her.

Poppy was about to say something, but P was impatient, and her horse took off. Lace was one of the fastest horses P had ever been on. She maneuvered across the landscape, dodging rocks and small shrubs. With almost no direction from P, Lace leaped over one of the narrow brooks. For a split second, while P and her horse were suspended in the air, the wind blowing stray strands of her brown hair back from her face, the complete silence that filled the countryside, she felt at peace. The events of the past months had left her mind for the time being.