THE DEATH TRIALS│3

AFTER BEING SUFFICIENTLY EYED WITH suspicion, Zaina soon became a thing of the past. The other competitors perused the armoury, picking out weapons and testing them, a few threw spears and drew arrows. With the help of a hasida, Zaina picked out an armour set.

"Seeing as you have all selected your weapons and seemed satisfied, you will now head to your alkhiams," Anubis said, gesturing towards the door.

They, the competitors, filed out of the armoury. Anubis grabbed Zaina's arm, startling her and causing her to drop the weapons. Anubis sighed and muttered a few words to a nearby hasida who promptly nodded and gathered Zaina's items.

"Come on," Anubis said. "We cannot be behind."

'We?' Zaina thought before she was pulled sharply. She stumbled for some time, trying to find her footing. After many scratches and bruises, she emerged at the front with Anubis who appeared unscathed. For the rest of the walk, she concentrated on catching her breath. It was plain as day that Zaina was not a fit individual.

After many twists and turns and down many winding corridors and staircases, they finally made it to a clearing with many tents mounted. Each tent was topped with a different rafiq. Arranged in a circle, the tents stood by each other. Anubis led them to the centre.

"This is going to be your lodgings for the duration of the competition. For now, you will be taken to go and clean yourselves and get some rest; I assume travelling through the Duat is not a comfortable ride. At dawn, the first trial will commence. Its nature will be announced then. Renenutet."

Anubis bade them farewell, taking his leave. The crowd slowly dispersed.

"Do you require my assistance?" a voice hissed lowly, the sound sending chills down her spine. The hasida from before came into view. 

"Me?" she asked, her voice coming out squeaky.

He nodded. "I have been assigned to you for the duration of your stay in the competition. I am at your service."

She was stunned, she had never had anyone at her service. Being in a family as big and poor as hers made it impossible for them to afford slaves or helps. Her parents could barely afford to feed the seven of them, well six, considering that the last child was a baby and so was breastfed. 

A soft smile graced her lips. "Thank you."

The hasida tilted his head in what appeared to be confusion—the most emotion she had ever seen one of them display. With their blurred faces, it was hard to discern their feelings.

She cleared her throat. "Where do we go to cleanse ourselves?"

He bowed low and extended a hand. "This way."

The hasida led her into her tent that was much bigger than she imagined. Silks hang above her and mats were rolled onto the floor. The atmosphere smelt of cedar and lavender with a hint of blue lotus. She was led to the back of the tent where a stone basin with water stood.

"I shall call the khadimas to help you take your bath. Excuse me," the hasida said, his gravelly voice leaving an impression after he had disappeared from the tent.

Zaina took her time to walk around. She slipped past the curtain that separate the bathroom from the rest of the tent. She walked towards the bed and sat down, revelling in the smooth and luxurious feeling that the silk sheets provided. 

  She picked up the letter from Anubis and reread it, a warm feeling blossoming in her chest. The sensation of his lips against her ear, his fingers on her cheek, her jaw, his hand in hers and that smile that brought heat to her cheeks all came rushing through her mind like the torrents that frequented the Nile during ahket. A content sigh escaped her lips as she lay down on the bed. Even though the dirt on her body was smeared across the expensive material that covered the bed, Zaina could not find it within herself to care.

She knew not how long she lay there thinking about the god. Three khadimas walked into the tent, frowning at her disapprovingly as they glanced at the mud-stained sheets. One of them tapped her foot, shaking her head. Another grabbed Zaina from the bed and pulled her up. The last one picked up the papers and scroll, placing them on the woven stool beside the bed. 

The khadima who had pulled her, dragged her to the tub, all the while muttering words under her breath. She made a move to remove Zaina's top, causing Zaina to jump back. Even though she had taken baths with her little sisters, Zaina felt uneasy at the thought of being naked in front of these strangers.

The woman lifted her eyes upwards and sighed. "Naima!" she shouted.

Seconds later, the woman who had picked the papers appeared. "Yes, Lilith?" she asked, her voice low as she avoided eye contact with Zaina.

"Undress her. If I do it, I might rip her clothes apart. Look how filthy she is," Lilith said, a disgusted scoff following her words. With one last glare in Zaina's direction, she walked out of the bathroom. "I am going to help Khadijah change the sheets that she messed up."

Zaina was thankful for her dark skin at that moment; Lilith could not see how her cheeks had warmed with embarrassment. She went to work on discarding her clothes, trying to avoid more shouts.

Naima filled the tub with water and then, with fragrances. "Please get in."

Zaina slipped into the tub, her body flinching slightly at the sudden warmth. Her body soon relaxed, allowing the water to sooth her muscles. Lilith and Khadijah came walking in at that moment and Zaina made sure to avoid eye contact with the former.

Khadijah picked up a comb and run it through Zaina's hair, trying to get rid of all the kinks and tangles. "Would it not be better to cut your hair short?"

Zaina shook her head. "I have never cut it before and I am not about to start now."

Naima picked the swabu and a cloth, rubbing them against each other. Lilith picked up her dirty clothes from the ground and took them away, probably to dispose of them. They got to work, cleaning her. While Naima run the towel up her arms, Khadijah's fingers massaged her scalp. When they were done, Zaina felt as though she was truly clean for the first time in her life. Her skin smelt like a mixture of honey and lotus and her hair, like lavender. Lilith dried her off and provided her with clothes to sleep in.

Naima drained the tub as Khadijah and Lilith lead her back to the bed. Zaina got onto the bed cautiously, making sure she did not anger Lilith. Once they were done tidying up, they left. Zaina slipped out of consciousness, once again forgetting to read the scroll.