THE DEATH TRIALS│6

THE HOT WATER DID VERY little to awaken her from her stupor. Zaina barely flinched as Lilith ran the towel over her open wounds. And as the water she sat in turned a dark brown colour—a mixture of the water, sweat, dirt and blood—she barely cringed. Soon, the khadimas were moving her out of the water, wrapping a towel around her body. They placed her on the edge of the bed and glanced at each other warily—the girl hadn't spoken a word since they had been brought back from the trial.

Naima waved a hand in front of her face, her worry increasing as Zaina didn't blink. Khadijah pinched her shoulder but received no response.

"Let us dress her wounds and then call Master Anubis," Lilith suggested, taking a seat beside her.

So they did just that, rubbing a mixture of honey and lint on the wound. Once they were done, they rubbed animal grease over it, to prevent the entry of bacteria as well as evil spirits. They wrapped bandages over the deep wounds and placed a loose linen dress over her body. Then they left her, still seated motionless on the bed, and went to fetch Anubis.

Not much time had passed when Anubis came strolling in. Kneeling in front of her, he caressed her face. She remained unmoving. Anubis leaned back, a concern look on his face. He muttered a few words and called out her name. As though water had just been splashed on her, her eyes shot open and her lips parted.

She looked at Anubis, face expressionless. "I almost killed them."

Anubis sighed. "Yes, you did. But you did not kill them," he said, placing a hand on her cheek.

"I stabbed them and burnt one," she replied, her words barely audible.

"Look at me," Anubis said, taking her head into his hands and looking her in the eyes. "You did it to survive. They would have killed you otherwise."

"Killed?" Zaina whispered, turning her head to the side.

"Yes, they would have. And you would have died, you would have lost your chance to return back to life."

She nodded absentmindedly, his words not registering. "Yes, killed. I almost killed them."

Anubis let out a sigh and looked at her. Her vibrant brown eyes were dull and glossed with tears as they stared at nothing. Her lips were parted, the fuller lower one busted, decorated with cuts as evidence of her triumph.

"Zaina," he took hold of her chin, locking their gazes, "it is over now. They weren't even real people."

She blinked, her lips parting further. "They weren't?"

He shook his head. "No, they work for me, they weren't mortals."

Then, as though something had been unlocked, emotions gushed through her like a torrent, filling her and exhibiting themselves as tears. She cried, her shoulders shaking as sobs wracked through her chest. Anubis pulled her down and into himself, wrapping his arms around her.

So they knelt there at the foot Zaina's bed, a scarred girl and the god of Death. Anubis tightened his hold on her, placing his head atop hers.

"It is okay," he whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead.

She stilled at the action, the feel of his soft lips foreign to her.

"Are you better now? Do you feel good now?" he asked.

Zaina nodded stiffly, removing her head from beneath his as she placed her hands on his chest with the intention of pushing herself off. The feel of his sculpted chest froze her in place. She looked down at her fingers, observing how they were spread across his muscled pectorals.