THE DEATH TRIALS│7

ZAINA WALKED AHEAD OF THE hasida, determined not to let him see her cry.

"Do not pay heed to Lilith."

"It is hard to do that when she is always shouting at me," Zaina replied, slowing down.

"I wish I could say that is just how she is," he replied, turning angling his head towards her. "Unfortunately, it would be untrue to say such a thing."

A bitter laugh escaped her lips. "So I am getting special treatment?" 

He remained quiet, plunging them into silence. Zaina sighed as they rounded the last corner, sparing him a glance. "Your name is Mido, right?" 

"It was," he replied curtly. "In the afterlife, I have no identity."

"Oh," she whispered, feeling as though she had struck a nerve.

When they entered the hall, Zaina spoke up again, rather forlornly. "You know, I had a friend named Mido."

When she heard no reply, she turned only to see the spot beside her empty.

"As you know, we are gathered here to celebrate the winner of the first trial," Anubis said, drawing her attention as he paced the length of the elevated stage. "Help me welcome, Omar Almasi!"

The hall was silent as the winner stood up.

"Come on now, do not be bitter," Anubis said, clapping his hands.

Slowly, everyone started clapping their hands. The boy smirked, and that was when Zaina recognised him. He was the one who had stared at her during the breakfast. Omar was barely scarred, in fact, he was most likely the only competitor who had come out unscathed.

The loud clapping dwindled down as he mounted the stage. And as the gods congratulated him, shaking his hand, his smug smile grew. Anubis placed a golden chain with an ankh hanging from it around his neck. Omar looked through the crowd and grinned when his gaze landed on Zaina's own. He winked at her before descending the stage.

"Enjoy the banquet," Anubis shouted, lifting his hands upwards.

Zaina looked around for a seat, her lips slowly but steadily dropping into a frown as every table appeared occupied.

"Zaina!" a loud voice shouted.

She whipped around to see Aharon waving her over. Ignoring the questioning stares of the other competitors, she quickly made her way towards him. In her haste, she tripped on the hem of her dress and fell down. The raucous laughter of the other competitors filled her ears, rousing tears. Too humiliated to move, Zaina remained in her position.

Footsteps echoed around her, becoming louder. Hands wrapped themselves around her forearms, hoisting her upwards and planting her on her feet. 

"Must you always be falling when I see you?" Aharon asked, a grin on his face.

Zaina smiled slightly, head bowed to avoid the lingering gazes of the others.

"Ignore them," he lifted her chin, smiling encouragingly, "Keep your head up high."

Zaina smiled at him. Nodding towards his table, he gently tugged her hand, leading her forwards. They quietly eased into their seats, Aharon joining the ongoing conversation. Zaina smiled when she was spoken to but focused on eating—running around in a pyramid was a lot of work.

Zaina examined the room, frowning slightly as she noticed that the number of competitors had fallen once more.

"Is everyone here?" she asked, placing a hand on Aharon's exposed bicep.