Chapter 3

I look over as a curtain of brown curls swing in front of my face. 

Hailey, Hailey Davids. My best friend. My only friend, really. I call her Hails for short though. 

"Oh heyy couz." She slurs. I swear she's country, but she says she's actually into rock. Oh and, she's cousin with my arch-nemesis, Anneliese. It must be some awkward family reunions. 

"Ellie is rocking her boots!" She says with a 'yass queen' face "Good thing you went with a safe option though, ... Uggs." She pauses and looks down with disgust at Anneliese's shoes.

Why was Anneliese wearing Uggs in the summertime anyways? Oh well. I didn't care.

Just then Anneliese's boyfriend, Alex comes up from behind and hugs her. Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to tell you that Anneliese and Alex are dating as well.

"Hey babe." Alex's deep voice resonated.

"Ohmygod BABE!" She says looking at Alex with awe and admiration. She turns to me and opens her mouth.

"I was JUST saying how Eleanor's boots look so her!" She looks back at Alex. "Right?"

Someone calls Anneliese's name and she turns and runs toward the voice in the hallway screaming, "BECKY!".

Alex turns to us and says "You know, she just got on a diet, and she's stopped drinking starbucks, so that might be why she's a little cranky."

I reply with, "Oh you know maybe she's just a stupid 67 and lost some brain cells too." 

Alex awkwardly smiles and gives me a confused face, looks down at my shoes and walks away towards his girlfriend.

Hailey turns to me and says, "You know, I'm happy that you insulted my cousin, but why did you say 67?"

I turn to her with a smirk and say, "Because number 67 in the periodic table is 'Ho', and Anneliese is a hoe." I finish while laughing at my own joke.

"Ohh! I get it, but why didn't you just say 'hoe'?"

"Because that'd be too mean and out loud it sounds nasty."

"Oh Ellie. You little beanboozled bean." 

I finish the rest of my classes before which one of them I have with Josh and 3 of them with Hailey. This will be a boring year.

***

It's lunchtime.

As I walk into the cafeteria I look around trying to spot Hailey, which I could not, so I text her.

'Hey, where r u?'

Her reply is almost instant.

'I had an Arby's craving! 😍 🍔'

I sigh, and walk out of the cafeteria and decide to go somewhere else. My feet take me to the library and I'm not even surprised. I go into the library and sit down at a table. I open up my backpack and pull out my bag of carrots and my coca-cola. I open up my bag and take a carrot out. I take a bite and of course the crack is super loud, I mean like the whole country can hear me eat my freaking carrot. A table full of people turn in front of me and give me an annoyed expression. Then they turn and point at a sign which says 'NO HARD FOODS'. Oh no. That's awkward. I quickly get up and grab my things, and leave fast.

I go outside, where people are strolling around and hanging out while the cheerleaders practice. There are a few people on the bleachers, but I notice a certain person sitting by themselves reading a book.

"Hey Tyler. Is this seat taken?" I point to the spot next to him.

"Oh yeah," He smiles at me with one of his dazzling smiles. "By you."

I smile and sit down. I open up my bad of carrots again. I take one out, and ask him, 

"Do you want a carrot?"

He looks at me and looks at the carrot. "Sure." He takes it, and eats it. When he finishes chewing he says,

"I gotta know, did she," he breaks off and licks his lips and his eyebrows crinkle. "Did she tell you she was gonna do it?"

I look away. I take another carrot out of my bag and before I eat it I say, 

"No." I take a bite of my carrot.

"Well, I mean, I just figured because you guys tell each other everything." He looks at me with desperation.

"Yeah well, she didn't tell me about this." I answer back solemnly.

***

Zach and I both get into my car, while Zach was practically skipping with joy, happy that he saw his friends that day, while I just wanted to go home.

While Zach is putting on his helmet, he says "You know, 5 of my friends wanted to sit by me, but you know there's only 2 seats on either side of me, so we'd just kept on rotating out people!" 

"Yeah, I TOTALLY have that problem." I put my keys into the ignition and put the car into reverse, and as I'm slowly pulling out of the parking spot I hit a person, and I hear a loud "Hey! Woahh!"

"Oh my god! You just hit someone!" He starts laughing. "Good thing I have my helmet!"

I hear a knocking at my window and Zach's laughs cease. I roll down the window. Alex's face appears. I cringe hardcore, and inside I'm dying.

"Hey, uh you do know you're supposed to look in your rearview mirrors before backing out, you know," He looks at the back of my car, "To not hit anyone?"

"Yeah well, uh, I'm not exactly comfortable using my mirrors yet, I'm almost there though."

"Yeah well be careful and try not to hit anyone else, Ellie. You," He points at Zach, "Are smart."

Alex walks away while I continuously hit my head against the steering wheel, careful not to hit the middle of the wheel. I sit there and pull out my phone.

"What are we doing?" Zach asks. "Why are we moving?"

I answer back, "We're waiting for all the cars to leave the parking lot."

"Oh my god." Zach hits his head against the back of the headrest.

About 30 minutes later, all the cars leave, so I drive by the diner and pick up a drink for Zach and I. As soon as we pull into the drive way, Zach gets out, but leaves the helmet in the car. He runs straight to the front door and he's already inside as I close the driver's door. I sigh and head up our lawn to the front door. As I open the door, I'm met with the amazing smell of stir fry.

xxx

Authors Note

Hi y'all!! Thank you for reading and I'm going to add a character reveal so I'll try to update that as soon as possible. Right now I don't really have a schedule planned for updates, because life is hectic, but I'll try to figure one out. Thanks!!

(this chapter was unedited sorry!!)

xo, rebecca