chapter 4

ALTHEA

Holy fucking hell. Is this really happening? This guy is real? After nearly a month since receiving the cell phone and note, I had convinced myself that I was playing into some lengthy prank. The types of text messages shared between us were so short and vague that they could have been produced by an autoresponder service. Half the time, he didn't even reply.

Still, that initial text message motivated me to get a job. Prank or not, I'd dawdled around long enough, leeching off of my mother. It was high time that I started earning my keep, even if it made me miserable.

After I confirmed that I had gotten a job, I stopped texting my new owner. He didn't seem much interested in me anyway, and to be honest, I was over the whole VirginsforSale.com thing. They keep sending me emails telling me that my new owner has released money into my account, but the website says they won't pay me until thirty days have passed, so there's no real way to tell if it's legit or not.

But now here we are, face-to-face for the first time. When I saw the limo waiting in the parking lot, I was certain it was for someone else, or it was just waiting there until the driver got a call from a client. I never in a million years thought it was for me.

The man inside is way more handsome than his picture. For several seconds, I think that I must be mistaken, but then he holds up his phone and shows me the same headshot of him against a purple background that I was sent. It's definitely the same guy.

"Get in," he says in a voice that's nothing like I had imagined. Deep and masculine, yet with a soft edge.

"Get in," I parrot stupidly, gawking at him like he's a celebrity.

He moves over, urging me inside.

I shake my head, trying to make sense of everything. "I don't even know your name—who you are."

He gives me a disapproving look. "Don't make me repeat myself."

Alarms go off inside my brain. Handsome or not, only an idiot would get inside a vehicle with a stranger and travel to an unknown destination.

"That's not safe," I mumble, hugging myself.

"You signed a contract," he reminds me firmly. "I came to collect what is mine."

The way he says what is mine makes a shiver roll through my body and settle at my core. What is his? Does he mean me or my virginity?

My mind goes blank as I stare at him and feel my common sense slowly drain away. His dark eyes are full of confidence and hunger, but his jaw is set in disapproval. I'm pissing him off. No doubt, this isn't what he signed up for. I'm not being the compliant doll that he paid for.

He paid for me. He owns me, I remind myself. It's a staggering thought. If he's here right now, does that mean that everything was real?

I bite my bottom lip before speaking again. His eyes instantly fall to my mouth. "If I get into that limo with you, what will happen?"

"I'm going to fuck you like we agreed upon," he replies unabashedly.

My knees feel weak. Again that swirl of desire kicks up in my loins. No one has ever talked to me like this before.

"We don't have all night." He steps out of the limo, and my head tilts back to look up at his face.

Tall. So tall compared to me.

He grabs my arm and starts pulling me towards the limo. It takes me a moment to realize that I'm being abducted.

"Hey, let go of me." I start to struggle, but he's way too strong. Within seconds, I'm inside the limo. The door is closed behind us, and I feel the vehicle lurch forward.