Chapter 8

A/N This has not been edited.

Ethan's pov

He'd been waiting for the call. It was one he hoped didn't happen but knew it would all the same. This week was going to be brutal on them all but it was the girl behind the door in front of him that had his heart in this matter.

He'd looked at his mate so many times throughout the afternoon and couldn't imagine his life without her. She was half of who he was. She was the sun that brightened his day and the moon that lit up his night. If anything should happen to her there would be no reason for him to continue. What Cam was doing disgusted him. If it wasn't for his father he would gladly sit back and watch him suffer. Mates are mates regardless as to who they are and Cam needed to learn that lesson.

A quiet voice called "come in". So quiet in fact that if he hadn't been listening he would have missed it.

The girl he saw before him broke his heart in two. Her eyes swollen from all her crying, cheeks blotchy and red and she sat looking at him with her bottom lip firmly between her teeth as if trying to use it to gain the strength to stop the tears. Yet she was still beautiful. He lost himself within her eyes. Clearer than the bluest of oceans they revealed everything held within her heart.

He could feel it ripping him apart. If it wasn't for his mate he would claim her as his and his alone.

He jerked himself from his stance in shock at his thoughts and quickly pushed them aside. He took a deep and spoke whule walking  towards her. "Hello Janella my name is Doctor Ethan. May I sit next to you?"

"Yes. Where's my mum?"

Sitting in the chair that had been placed beside the bed Ethan took hold of her hand and quickly took her pulse.

"Your mum will be here shortly. I brought a tea I woukd like you to drink. It'll help you sleep and your mum's just warming it for you."

Janella scrunched her nose "tea? really?"

Ethan laughed and it went to his eyes. "I take it you're not a tea drinker then?"

"Nope, I don't see the point when there's perfectly good coffee out there." She shuddered at the thought and Ethan's smile grew wider.

"Well sorry but right now the point us getting you to sleep, not waking you up." He replied.

A silence settled between them and then she spoke, "Can I ask you something? It's ok if you don't want to answer..."

"Ask me anything Nellie."

She waited a moment... "do you have a mate?"

"I do. She's my life. My everything."

"Have you ever thought of not being with her?"

Ethan shifted in the chair uncomfortably.

"No I haven't. To be honest I couldn't breathe without her in my life."

Janella nodded lookg down at her bed "yeh that's how I thought it was supposed to be... but it's not."

Just at that moment Nellies mother comes into the room holding a steaming cup of tea.

"Well Ethan I wish you luck at getting her to drink this" she said with a grin "she hadn't drunk tea since she was three."

Janella took the mug from her mother fully aware that she and the doctor were watching her.

"It looks too hot. I'll just put it on the nightstand to cool."

Ethan's hand went out and smirking he said "not on my watch young lady. Now drink up!"

Janella looked down at the mug in her hand and scowled.

"It's tea."

"Yep."

"I don't drink tea."

"You do now."

"Nope."

"Yep."

"Nope."

"Yep."

"Nope. Nu uh. No way."

Her mother chuckled. "I told you doc. You have no hope of getting her to drink tea."

"Oh I think I do," Ethan smirked as he sat back in the chair and folded his arms "I'm a doctor and you know what that means Nellie?"

"What?"

"In my car I have my medical bag."

"And?" Nellie prompted not sure if she wanted to know the answer.

"Well you see it's like this... I have all sorts of tubes available at my fingertips."

Nellie's eyes shot up to look at him in fear "You wouldn't."

"Oh but I would." He smiled.

"No way!"

"Yep I would and you know what?"

"What?"

"I'll get away with it cause I'm a doctor taking care of his patient."

"Noooooooo. Mum you have to save me! This man isn't a doctor... he's the devil incarnate!"

The pair laughed at the expression on Nellies face and that was when she knew she was doomed. Doomed by the evil people in her room.

"Isn't there something else I can take?"

"Nope. Now drink up. The sooner you drink the sooner you get some sleep."

"Just as well you're here then."

"Oh?"

"I'm going to die tonight. I should at least write a will."

Laughter filled the air. Her mother and the doctor were so busy laughing they didn't see her drinking the tea down. In one swoop it was done. Gone. Thank the Moon Goddess for that. Evil. Evil. Evil drink. Never again would she do that.

He secretly watched as she drank. Relief filled his heart. He had no idea what this week would bring but of one thing he was sure. Cam was an idiot. Janella was stronger than anyone he'd ever known before. She was someone who deserved to be to be happy. Someone who deserved the finest things life had to give. She deserved the best of everything... including a loving mate by her side.

......

Cam pov

He sat outside her window and waited. He waited for her pain. There was nothing. No sobs, no nightmares. For the first time in years she didn't need him.

He felt alone and discarded.