17

It took another week before I found Lina alone, crying outside my study. Instead of going to her though I left her there with a stern "If you're ready, come to me."

That evening, dinner was a quiet affair with Lina never looking up to meet either Blair's or my eyes and Blair giving both me and Lina disapproving looks though I knew he was secretly happy me and Lina seemed about to make up.

So, it was a surprise to both Blair and I when Lina disappeared immediately after dinner and didn't show her face for the rest of the evening. Disappointed, we both retreated to my room and went to sleep without a word.

The following morning we awoke to a third person in our bed. Lina lay sleeping peacefully, cradled in my arms and for once it was Blair who was grinning mischievously, cocking a suggestive eyebrow at me.

I rolled my eyes, grinning, I knew immediately what Blair was suggesting I do, but I decided against it. Now was the time to be rational. If I gave in and marked her the way Blair wanted, I would set a pace for our relationship I would be unable to check for the rest of our mated life. I kissed her lightly on the forehead and released her into Blair's arms. I ignored the urge to grab her again and instead kissed Blair before getting up. As I got up Lina stirred awake and looked up at me pleadingly. Her expression changed as I bit down another surge of desire and I knew then that she had misunderstood but went about my morning routine anyway. I heard Blair whisper softly to her but did not strain to listen to what he was saying.

It was late afternoon that found me back in my study. The day had been busy though that had been of my own volition. I knew I still had some residual hesitation towards Lina that I needed to overcome before I could mark her and fully accept her as my mate. I knew I had to be careful and pace my relationship with her or we could end up regretting it later on.

I had avoided the house all morning, patrolling the grounds and settling pack quarrels. By noon Blair had come to find me, imploring me to return and make up with Lina. Instead I'd stroked Blair's cheek, resisted the urge to pull him into a passionate kiss and sniffed the nape of his neck where his mark was visible. I had then stridden off to join Thomas on his rounds.

Now sat in my study, it took Lina only minutes to join me. She'd knocked lightly hesitating when I didn't answer but eventually opening the door and entering the room. I looked up sternly, trying not betray my emotions at the sight of her. Her face was flushed, she had dried up tear tracks running along the side of her face and kept her eyes downcast. She flushed even redder when I told her to 'SIT!'. She sat obediently and waited for me to give her my attention. "Will you mark me?" she implored in a high-pitched whisper when my attention was not forthcoming.

I let out a heavy breath and told her "I'm a busy man, Felina".

She jumped up in shock and tears sprang forth again however I continued.

"I don't expect you to stop challenging me however I don't and won't always have the time to play with you. As my mate you will learn my limits and act accordingly!" She sat back down and nodded, eyes still downcast.

"Look at me Felina!" I didn't raise my voice but knew I still sounded authoritative. "You went too far when you mated with Blair," at this she interjected, "But he is..." but I didn't let her finish and gave her a stern look. "You will let me finish!" I commanded, then continued in a normal tone, "You mated with him behind my back. I am an alpha! Always keep that in mind!" I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves somewhat. "Both you and he challenged my authority. In those first hours..." I shuddered thinking of my next words and how true they sounded, "I could have... probably would have killed you both had Thomas not been there with me."

"You wouldn't have killed your own mates." She stated firmly, sure of herself. I snapped the stylus I was holding and this time it was my turn to avert my eyes at her response. Her eyes widened and she went pale.

I sighed then. "I might have... You might not understand alpha-dynamics as we do, your feline nature is nowhere the same as ours and you've been living alone for so long. Blair knew, when he came to face me. An alpha may take a life if someone within the pack defies him. Lives have been taken for far lesser reasons. Mating with the alpha's mate equates high treason. Had he been there when I first found out nothing would have stopped me from killing him..." my voice cracked a little. "Both him and I did not recognise our bond when we first met. Though you might have known from the start and he has known longer than I have... you should realise the danger you put both him and yourself in..." I waited until she nodded in understanding before continuing. "You nearly took him from me." she went to protest but I stayed her with a cold look. "Yourself too!" I finished.

It stayed quiet for some time as I let her process...

"There will be ground rules to our relationship." She looked at me defiantly resisting for quite a while before bowing her head to the side and exposing her neck - and Blair's mark - in submittance. I let out a growl of approval. "You will learn my boundaries and you will learn not to push past them. Preferably not get anywhere near them either..." I smiled slightly at her, letting her know the serious part of our conversation was finished. She nodded once more in acceptance, then perked up with anticipation as she voiced her question again.

"Will you mark me now?" It was hard keeping my cool at her eagerness, but keep it I did. For a second before smiling...

"I'm a busy man, Felina" I reiterated my earlier response. She looked at me dumbfounded "But..." she spluttered. I stayed her with my hand and she fell silent.

I focused my eyes on the papers before me not reading a single line and with no other intention but to let her think she had been dismissed. Two can play at this game, I smiled inwardly. Provided the game has some ground rules...

She took the bait and stood to leave. A quiet whispered 'Lina' stopped her at the door and she turned around hope in her eyes.

"You can stay." I told her, indicating the recliner in the corner of my office. She almost jumped into the seat and sat straight as if awaiting my next order, that never came... This time I really focused on the papers in front of me and only looked up an hour later to see she'd fallen asleep.

I had to stifle a laugh when I came out of my office carrying the still sleeping Lina and nearly tripping over the outstretched legs of an equally asleep Blair sitting against the wall next to my office door. I nudged Blair's leg lightly, effectively waking him.