Racial Discrimination

Racial Discrimination refers to the mistreatment of individuals based on their race, colour, descent, national origin, immigrant status and just their overall ethnic background.

Racism is the prejudice and bias against individuals of their ethnic background due to the belief that 'One's own race is far superior than any other'.

Prejudice is what you think.
Discrimination is what you do.

Yeah, that is the simplest form in which I can tell you the definition of the two, though I am pretty sure that you all already know why they mean.
Racial discrimination has appeared numerous times throughout the course of history. From the Barbary Slave Trade in the 1600s to segregation in the 1800s to the Civil Rights Movement in the mid-1900s.

Now you may think. That in our reality and time like this, where everything is a lot more advanced than back then and that people will learn all about the tragedies, the horrors and the unacceptable actions that human beings have caused to one another, that everyone is a lot more tolerant and accepting now.

However, truth be told that you'd be quite surprised with how many people still carry on the mindset that 'ones own race is far more superior than any other'.

WHERE DOES RACISM COME FROM?
People are not born with racist ideas or attitudes. Racism is something that is learned.

There remains a small minority of people out there who believe in their own race to be far more superior and they may become narcissistic of their own race.
Though what makes people think this way?

-Prejudice: Pre-judging. Having an unreasonable or unfair dislike or preference. Basically judging what something is without knowing what it truly is.

-Bias: One-sided view. Having only one view and opinion on something (which may appear negative) and not desire to change it.

-Stereotyping (future chapter coming soon):
It takes one bad apple to disgrace an entire tree. If one person from another ethnic background commits an action that you find unacceptable, you may think that their entire race is unacceptable, hence leading to prejudice, bias and eventually discrimination. You may think that nobody will ever think that way, but stereotyping is one of the biggest factors of discrimination.

-Uneducated views and reasons

-Strong opinionated views

Though, the important thing to note is that racism does not always come from hatred. It comes from Fear and Anxiety just as well.
And people cause racism as a psychological defence mechanism which sometimes lead to aggression.

And remember that, it is sometimes usually the first opinions of people on anything, really, that may appear negative, without even truly learning why it actually is, which is the umbrella term of all the causes of racism: Ignorance.

HOW DOES RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AFFECT PEOPLE?
Racial Discrimination can cause harm to those on the receiving end. It hurts individuals deeply and our society at a large in so many ways.

It can cause feelings of sadness, anger, even anxiety, insecurity, uncertainty and even severe depression to those who have been affected.

It can hurt people's dignity and freedom making them feel as though they have less freedom or are second-class citizens. It's not right.

And at this moment, this very very moment, there are people out there who are being mistreated somewhere for who knows what reason, just because of their ethnic background. Who knows what could appear on the news in the future about a racial incident that could be happening on this day.

WHAT IS THERE TO PREVENT RACISM?
There are anti-racism campaigns all over the world and they all serve the same purpose: to stand up against racism.

Campaigns such as Stand Against Racism, Show Racism the Red Card, Racism, it stops with Me.

What these campaigns do this that they all fight against racism, help those who were affected severely by racism, provide the public with information on the history of racism in their websites and what to do when you witness racial discrimination etc.

I recommend you guys going on their websites if you want to.

It also tells the public how awful racial discrimination truly is and to learn how to promote tolerance and respect within other people who are different.

Tolerance means taking the time and patience to accept other people's rights to their own opinions and actions. Acceptance is how to promote tolerance within different people.

The thing i don't understand about people is how they choose to hate someone through what they think of their race as a whole. Everyone knows that you cannot choose your own nationality and colour. Those comes from your parents. And nobody should be looked down upon for something they can't control.

This sounds cliché alright, but no matter what different colour or race we are, we all bleed red, we all have mistakes, we all have ups and downs, because we are human beings. Race and colour is just a part of your appearance and what truly mattters about you is what you do through your actions and words.
Did that make sense? idk

Racism is still going around to this day which is why in the future i will be making chapters on modern racial discrimination around USA, the U.K and Europe. So be alert for those chapters.