Seventeen

Dedicated to KaminariBby

Before night fell, Zu and Luce went to check out a nearby campsite, to which was thankfully deserted. It didn't take long afterward for a campfire to get started and the smoke to calm everyone down. While Zu gave Ruby a hug, the others began to pool together whatever food was left from Betty.

"So that's how you figured out the clue," Liam said. "You saw a memory of it?"

Ruby nodded. "Not so impressive now, is it?"

"No—no, that's not what I meant," he said, adding quickly, "It's just I'm trying to imagine what the inside of that kid's head looked like, and the best I can come up with is a swamp filled with alligators. It must have been terrible."

"Not as terrible as slipping into someone's I actually like," she admitted.

"Did you?" Chubs said after nearly ten minutes of silence while Liam was busy testing out whether he could use Betty's car key to pry open the lids of the fruit and soup cans.

"Did I what?"

"Did you ever get inside our heads?" He finished.

"Of course she's in our heads," Liam said, his arms straining to open the can's lid. "Ruby is one of us now."

"That's not what he meant," Luce said.

"Right," Chubs agreed. "I just want to know how it works. I mean, Luce told me how it works, but she has her act together- don't even correct me because we all know you do, even if it's not as kept together as you would like."

The Purple's mouth was opened to say something, but she closed it when he finished his sentence. As much as she wanted to disagree, he was right. Her act is more put together now than it was when she first met them.

"Other than a Purple, we didn't have any at Caledonia."

"That's probably because the government erased them off," Ruby said, dropping her hands in her lap. "That's what happened to them at Thurmond."

Liam looked up, alarmed. "What do you mean?"

"For the first two or three years I was there, we had every kind of color, even Red and Orange," she said.

"Was there a Purple by any chance?" Luce asked, hope in her voice.

"Honestly, if there was I actually wouldn't have known."

"We didn't know until we were out," Chubs pointed out. "Maybe it was the same."

"Maybe," Luce mumbled.

"No one really knows why or how it happened," Ruby continued. "Some people thought they were taken away because of all the trouble they caused, but there were rumors they were being moved to a new camp where they could do more testing on them. We just woke up one morning and the Reds, Oranges, and Yellows were gone."