Friendship

Rumors says that Qingheng-jun’s younger brother – Lan Qiren, is as skilled as him and is kind to everyone, that is why his name is Qiren. But, the rumors proved them wrong after their first meeting and now, inside their classroom, they are all avoiding him instead of their hopes of befriending him before they went here.

Jiang Fengmian is the only one seated beside Lan Qiren who’s focused on listening to their teacher. He stared at the side of Lan Qiren’s face that’s visible to him. His brows are long and thin but sharp. His eyelashes are curled and long. His nose is high and his thin lips are pursed, as if he’s always pouting because he was wronged. That thought made him chuckled and he immediately sat straight up when he saw their teacher is looking at him.

“Qiren.” Their teacher called.

“Yes.” Lan Qiren answered and stood straight.

“Since it is the first day, your classmates are new to our clan’s rules. They are already tired from their journey to here, and so… recite our clan’s rules to them.” The teacher said.

Their eyes went wide, shocked. They’ve already heard that the Lan clan’s rules are exceeding hundreds, and now their teacher is telling Lan Qiren to recite them?!

“Yes.” Lan Qiren respectfully answered and was about to start when Jiang Fengmian immediately stood up.

They all looked at him. “Jiang-xiong…?” the others said, puzzled.

Jiang Fengmian ignored them and looked at their teacher, then glanced at Lan Qiren who’s also looking at him,  puzzled. “Sir.” He called to their teacher and respectfully bowed.

“What is it, young master Jiang?” the teacher asked.

Jiang Fengmian stood straight. “There’s no need for second young master Lan to recite the Lan clan’s rules for us.” He said. “We could just read them on the walls or on the study scrolls.” He explained.

The others’ eyes went wide. “Jiang-xiong! Are you crazy?!” they whispered, shocked. “It’s tiring to look up just to read those hundreds of carved rules on a wall! More so, it’d waste our time and we’ll just be straining our neck!” they told him.

The teacher heard them, but didn’t stop them since he’s curious of Jiang Fengmian’s actions. “We’ll also waste our time if we listen to second young master Lan’s recitation, anyway, so why we don’t spend that time for more things to learn from the teacher?” he asked. “Also, I’ll read the rules for you. Will that be fine?” he added and smiled.

They gaped at him, awed. The teacher nodded, now understands Jiang Fengmian’s action. However, Lan Qiren’s eyes narrowed again and he glared at him. “Show-off.” He muttered and looked away, frowning, when Jiang Fengmian looked at him.

“Qiren.” The teacher called.

Lan Qiren immediately stood straight, his face now back to serious. “Yes.” He answered.

The teacher turned to Jiang Fengmian. “Then I’ll be troubling you.” He said. “Since looking up at the wall to read our clan’s 800 rules would strain your neck – “ he said and turned to the other disciples.

They all immediately looked away.

“Then Qiren will let you borrow the scroll containing our clan’s rules.” The teacher continued. “Qiren, you accompany young master Jiang to the Library Pavilion.” He told him.

Lan Qiren’s eyes went wide, but he didn’t speak. He only lowered his head. “Yes.” He answered. He then sat back on his seat.

Jiang Fengmian turned to the teacher and gratefully bowed, then sat back on his seat. Their class then proceeded with no more hassle.

Library Pavilion.

“Young master Lan.” Jiang Fengmian called as he watched Lan Qiren look for the books and scrolls containing the Lan clan’s rules.

When Lan Qiren didn’t answer, he just sighed. He stared at him. Lan Qiren’s long and black silky hair is tied unlike Qingheng-jun who has his hair down. Earlier, since their teacher caught him watching him, he didn’t have the chance to stare at him longer.

Lan Qiren’s skin is smooth and fair, a little exposure to the sun’s heat and it’ll became rosy pink. His neck exposed because of his tied up hair is slender, his collar slightly slid down to his shoulder because of his smooth skin.

Jiang Fengmian’s hand twitched and he raised it, then looked at Lan Qiren’s exposed neck. His throat was exposed more when he raised his head to search the top of the shelf. Will my… hand fit around that slender neck? He thought and immediately lowered his hand and looked away when Lan Qiren suddenly turned to him. “What’s your problem?” he asked, frowning and his brows knit.

“Why do you always look mad?” he gently asked as he walked towards him.

Lan Qiren took a step back. “Because you violated our rules.” He answered.

Jiang Fengmian took another step. “I already apologized, right?” he asked.

Lan Qiren took another step back and his back hit the shelf because it’s narrow in where they are. He looked at Jiang Fengmian who stopped right in front of him, only a step separating them two.

“You know shifu wants to punish me. Why did you save me?” Lan Qiren asked.

“Because he’s punishing you.” Jiang Fengmian answered as he raised his hand. He’s staring at Lan Qiren’s neck.

Lan Qiren just stared at him. “… mind your own business.” He told him.

Jiang Fengmian’s hand stopped, then he took the books from Lan Qiren’s arms. He felt his skin shivered when his hand made a momentary contact on Lan Qiren’s skin. He looked at him, but Lan Qiren’s head is lowered as he read the titles of the books. His bangs on the side of his head that wasn’t tied by the forehead ribbon is freely falling, covering his face and obstructing Jiang Fengmian’s sight of him.

His hand was about to move again when Lan Qiren raised his head and caught him staring at him. “What?” he asked as he handed him the books.

Jiang Fengmian didn’t answer and balled his fists. He took the books from him. “Thank you, second young master Lan.” He told him and groaned when he felt the stack of books are heavy.

Lan Qiren’s brows raised. “Want help?” he asked, his face smug.

Jiang Fengmian shook his head and immediately walked out of the library pavilion. Lan Qiren is following behind him… or so he thought. When he didn’t hear the footsteps behind him, he looked back. Only to see Lan Qiren diligently reading another book while standing straight parallel to the shelves. The longer he watched him, the more he felt his heart itch. After a while and he silently left, bringing the stack of heavy books.

He’s… lonely. He thought.