Development

Jiang Fengmian sighed as he watched Lan Qiren walk before him. He turned when he saw the sun started to set, yet Lan Qiren still didn’t stop walking. They’ve been walking for 3 straight hours now, and worse, going in circles yet Lan Qiren still doesn’t stop. He’s hesitating to call him again since Lan Qiren’s been ignoring him the whole time. He can’t initiate a conversation, though, since he doesn’t know if Lan Qiren’s voice is back now. He could only wait.

“You can stop following me now.” Lan Qiren said, his voice still slightly hoarse but it’s comprehensible now.

Jiang Fengmian looked at him. “But, second young master Lan – “ he said.

Lan Qiren just looked around. They’ve gone far from Caiyi Town. “I’ll be telling my brother you’ve accompanied me. Now, go.” He told him, his voice cold.

Jiang Fengmian stared at his back. Sensing Lan Qiren won’t listen to him, he silently bowed, then left.

Lan Qiren sighed, relieved, when he heard Jiang Fengmian’s footsteps away. He turned and saw an elder of their sect talking to an old woman. For some reason, he felt panic in his heart when he thought someone from his clan might see him with Jiang Fengmian. That thought made his cheeks flushed. Why am I worrying about this, anyway? He thought and frowned, but his face bathed in the setting sun’s light is red. It’s not like I’m doing something illegal and breaking our clan’s rule – he thought  and cleared his throat. He was about to walk towards the elder when he heard a voice called him.

“Second young master Lan, I forgot to tell y – “ Jiang Fengmian who came back said. He was surprised when Lan Qiren suddenly turned to him, glaring. Ah, no. That’s not what’s surprising. He thought and looked at Lan Qiren’s hands on his chest when he suddenly pushed him back. “Ah. Second young master Lan, I – “ he said and looked at Lan Qiren’s whose face is lowered, but his ears are red. He’s mad again? Or –

He doesn’t have time to think when he felt his feet didn’t touch the ground. The next second and he felt the ice-cold water of the river.

Lan Qiren, his face so red in embarrassment after he was surprised and so he suddenly instinctively pushed Jiang Fengmian, opened his eyes and raised his head after he heard a loud splash, followed by the people exclaims. Hm?  He thought when he saw Jiang Fengmian’s not in sight. Then, he looked at the bubbling water. His eyes went round and wide. Don’t tell me… he thought and looked at the few people around. Fortunately, there’re less people here and only three of them saw Jiang Fengmian ‘fell’ on the river. Yes. They didn’t see how he fell on the river.

He immediately looked back and saw the sect elder is flying away and so he didn’t see the commotion. He turned to the river and saw Jiang Fengmian’s not coming out. Oh, no… did I kill him?! He thought, his face paled as he walked to the riverbank, his body shaking in fright. No… he thought as he reached his hand out to the water. Don’t die! He thought and closed his eyes tight as he lowered his head. A sob came out of his mouth just as Jiang Fengmian’s head come out of the water.

He saw Lan Qiren is sitting on the riverbank, his face on his knee as his hand is touching the ice-cold water. His face went serious as he slowly swam near him. He held his hand. It was soft and warm against his cold skin due to falling in the water.

“I’m sorry…” Lan Qiren said, sobbing. “I didn’t mean to… you scared me – “ he said. His hand held by Jiang Fengmian is shaking. “Don’t scare me… don’t die – “ he said and raised his head to see him. “You… didn’t die…” he said and hiccupped, his face red because of his crying.

So cute… Jiang Fengmian thought as he felt his anger melt away. He went out of the river. He’s really not that angry at him for pushing him on the river. He knows how to swim. Just… for a moment he thought Lan Qiren’s so mad at him but then he also thought Lan Qiren’s not that kind of person and he’d fight you squarely. Adding by hearing him apologize to him and he cried… Jiang Fengmian felt his chest warmed up despite his body cold from soaking in the river. “Second young master Lan.” He called as he stood beside him who’s still sitting on the ground. His robes are now dirty and damp. “Shall we return to the Cloud Recesses?” he asked and his hand still holding the warm as jade hand of Lan Qiren, he held it tight.