4. Distractions

I spent the rest of the week at my old house. I called Cooper to apologize that I just left all of a sudden. I told him that I wasn't feeling good and I was homesick. It wasn't a complete lie, I lost both my parents around this time of the year, so I was feeling homesick. I miss them so much I spent my time cleaning around the house and fixing their things. I knew they would want me to move on from this place, but it just brought so many happy memories when they were still with me. I was cleaning up my mom's bedside drawer when an envelope with my name on it slipped from her planner. I picked up the envelope and read what was inside, which was a letter from my mom. 

Mom's letter: To my dearest love Kelsey, 

Hi honey, I don't know how to explain this but I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was sick sooner. I didn't know how to tell you and I didn't want to be a burden in your life. You, Kelsey, are my most valuable treasure. When your father passed, I was devastated. I didn't know what to do after I lost the love of my life, but you honey kept me together. Your presence in my life made it whole. Even with your father gone, we made it through together. I only want whats best for you and wish you the best because that is what you deserve. I remember the day you were born, your father and I were the happiest people on the planet. Kelsey, you are our miracle. Your father and I were told there was a high possibility that we won't be able to conceive, but God has gifted us the most beautiful, intelligent, kind, and determined daughter we could have asked for. Your father always wanted to give you everything you wanted to in order to follow your dreams. I'm sorry again if I won't be there on the most important days of your life. However, just know your father and I will always be here for you. We will guide you, protect you, and love you forever and more. Your father wrote this letter for you when he was becoming weak, he wanted to give this to you when you graduated, but just in case I don't make it I attached it to my letter. I know honey this may be hard for you, but please move on from this. You are brave and knowing you, you probably bought this house to keep the memories alive. But honey you need to let go of the past in order to grow for the future. Your father and I will always be with you no matter what, so please if you did buy the house...sell it and make yourself a living. Follow your dreams. I love you my Keeks. 

Love Always and Forever, 

Mom 

Dad's letter: To my beautiful and intelligent Keeks, 

The day you were born, I was made the happiest man alive. Don't tell your mom, but I was probably crying more when you were born more than the day of your mother and I's wedding haha. Keeks, the day you were born I knew you were destined for greatness. You were always seeing the good in people at such a young age. Every night when I read your bedtime story, you talked about your future and your dreams of becoming a part of the fashion industry or becoming a singer and that you would always want your mother and I in the front row of each show, each concert or event. It hurt me knowing I was sick and I won't be there physically. I wanted your mother to give this letter to you when you graduated high school, so you must have graduated if you're reading this. Congratulations my love! Now you can go to college hopefully because education is very important, and can go out into the world to follow your dreams. I hope you follow your heart always. I hope you find the love of your life like I did with your mom. I know it's hard to find the love of your life, but you'll just know when you do. Do good in the world Keeks. I will always be with you every step of the way to guide you and to protect you. I love you my Kelsey. Don't forget that. 

Love Forever, 

Dad

I started to cry even more knowing that my parents were always going to be with me. I decided to go to the cemetery to visit my parents. I put on a white shirt, high waisted denim jeans, black ankle booties, and a coat before I headed out. I stopped at the flower shop my mom love and got her favorite flowers and sunflowers for my dad because he would call my mom and I, "the sunflowers in his life."