Ch27 test

When Alpha opened the door, he found the five of us awake and on all fours, in our proper places, with heads bowed. He made a dissatisfied growl from the door before he stepped in. He paced around us, unable to find a single reason to strike any of us.

His toes nudged me as he went by. I couldn't help flinch, but managed to drop my head a little more and open my neck to him. I heard a bit of pee hit the floor from a few of the others, but that was something Alpha never complained about.

"There you are, Alpha. Should I have the omegas begin breakfast yet?"

Beta stood in the doorway as if nothing was wrong.

"Where is it?" Alpha growled.

"Where is what?"

"The dead one."

"Hmm? Not it. He," Beta corrected sternly. "We agreed he would be called the Bad One. Only pack members are given names. I took care of our pack member last night. Are you ready for breakfast? I want our omegas to start cleaning this room after breakfast. It stinks. For our territory to smell of us is one thing, but this stench is too much. Aren't our guards being obedient? The whole night here and not the first complaint. I think they deserve a good breakfast."

"Will you give them yours?"

Alpha's tone was challenging. He was so obviously ticked off and wanting to punish someone.

"If that is what is needed to get them what they deserve," Beta declared.

"Kitchen," Alpha snapped.

We rose as one, walked to the center of the room, and went out the door single file. Somehow I doubted Beta would tell Alpha he spent a few hours training us after we got back from burying the Bad One. We practiced getting up and getting in line by the door, just to go back to our places and do it again and again. Beta had been careful in his commands, even going so far as to thunk us on our shoulders, lightly whack us on our heads, and even give us light kicks as we practiced staying in position. He wanted to be able to praise our behavior in the morning, and didn't let us sleep until he was sure he would be able to.

Beta had finally told us to sleep, that one of his guards would wake us. Sure enough, there had been a rap on the door. We had softly called to each other, making sure everyone was awake, before settling in. It helped, knowing what was to come, being prepared against Alpha's sure wrath. It helped knowing Beta had some kind of leverage now to use against Alpha; leverage totally dependent on our obedience.

Breakfast was eaten in silence. I didn't even attempt to covertly help the little omegas this morning. Alpha served Beta his breakfast personally, a small bowl of the hated nuggets, which Beta ate without complaint. If anything, Beta acted slightly amused, as if what Alpha was doing meant nothing.

Alpha's punishment of Beta continued after breakfast, when Beta went with his guards to take the females their breakfast.

"Why don't you command your guards," Alpha said with a sneer, "and I'll take care of the girls this morning."

There was a moment's silence.

"Would you have me ignore my duty as the royal heir?"

"Of course not," Alpha replied.

Beta grinned up at Alpha. "I'm so glad you're giving me the opportunity to practice my commands, Alpha. Guards, stand and wait for my return before you change to wolf this morning."

I marveled at Beta's courage as he continued to push his own authority and goad Alpha. The group of us lined up at the edge of the kitchen, patiently waiting as commanded. Our lord kept prattling cheerfully as the two of them walked away. I began to understand what an act his cheerful demeanor was, how it was designed to control Alpha's behavior. I dared have hope that the worst was over, that even though this wasn't the home we wanted, it still might be a good one for us.