A Flash in the Sky II

Summary: Continuation for A Flash in the Sky. Set right after the end of the previous chapter.

⊰❉⊱

Blüdhaven, New Jersey

After everything was taken care of the creature was safely in the League's custody, Dick decided to call it a night. It was late and though he didn't have to go to work in the morning, he was eager to get back to his apartment. 

"We should go," he said to Damian as they watched the remaining members of the League check the area one last time before they left. 

"Don't tell me you are tired?" the young boy said, arms crossed over his chest. "The night is still young." 

Dick smiled. Of course, Damian wouldn't want to call it a night. He barely got to do anything. "I have things to do in the morning but if you want to go with them..." he said, motioning to the team. "I am sure they will find something for you to do. Or something to destroy." 

"Funny but not untrue," Damian sighed. "I suppose I will be seeing you later. Should I tell Batman you send your regards?"

"No. I can call him later," he chuckled and Damien shrugged before leaving to where the others were gathered. Dick waved before disappearing into the night.

⊰❉⊱

The good thing about living on the top floor of the apartment building was that it was easy to sneak in and out undetected. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy the challenge but rather the fact that sometimes he was too tired to be bothered with being stealth. 

Running a hand through his hair, he sighed before removing his mask.

"You look tired..." A voice he was very familiar with said. Looking up, he found Kori leaning against the doorframe of his bedroom, a smile playing her lips, looking particularly amused.

"That's because I am," he answered as he sat down on the couch, closing his eyes. 

Kori pushed herself away from the doorframe and moved to sit down next to Dick. "Perhaps you should take a nap?" she said, though it sounded more like a question. "I am certain that will make you feel better."

"Probably," he answered, keeping his eyes closed. "But I rather not sleep. We don't get enough time together anymore. We're both always busy."

"We are," she agreed. "But it is part of the job as you've said."

"Well, I don't like it," he said, sounding like Damian when he started complaining about foolish things. It didn't happen as often anymore but the boy's rants entertained her.

"And you think I do?" she said, knowing perfectly well that he knew she did not. "But we both have people who depend on us. You have Damien and I have Rachel and the others..."

"Right," he said as he moved to pull Kori closer to him. He was going to enjoy what little time they had together before she had to leave. "Still don't like it."

Kori laughed before kissing his cheek. "You can always come and visit us." 

"Or I can send Damien with you. That way it will be easier for me to visit," he smiled brightly, liking his idea too much. "And he does needs to learn how to work with a team and he won't do it by occasionally working with one."

"So everybody wins?"

"Exactly."

Kori laughed. She liked the idea and by the looks of it, Dick had thought about this before more than once. And he was only right. Damian rarely worked with someone that wasn't Batman or Nightwing and perhaps being with others who were actually closer to his age more often would help him.

"You get to break the news to him," she said as she stood up, pulling Dick along with her. "Now come on, let's get you out of that suit," she added as she led him to his bedroom to change. "You can't tell me you are comfortable in that right now."

"If you want me to take my clothes off you can always ask," he said, winking as she looked back at him amused. "There's no need for too many words."

Kori smiled as she got some more comfortable clothes from his dresser. "We both know I wouldn't go around it if that was what I wanted. Now, get change," she said, placing the clothes on his bed. 

Dick smiled before doing as she asked because after all, she was right. As much as he loved his suit, after a long night, it was not comfortable. And sleep did sound divine at the moment. He wasn't tired from that night, he hadn't done much that particular night but one could only spend so many sleepless night and busy days at work before you crashed. He knew that and he knew Kori knew that as well. They had known each other for years now.

"Just so you know, I borrowed one of your shirts," Kori said, pulling her hair into a bun as she spoke. Dick looked up to find her wearing one of his many black shirts, unaware that she had changed as well.

"I'm not getting it back, am I?" he teased, throughout their time together, Kori had 'borrowed' many of his shirts and once she took them, they never came back. But to be fair, she looked wonderful in them.

Kori blushed at his words. "Probably not," she said, sitting down on his bed and hugging one of his pillows to her chest. "They are very comfortable."

He chuckled. "You look gorgeous," he said as he sat down next to her.

She smiled, before throwing the pillow back were it had been and wrapping her arms around him, holding him close as she straddled him. For a moment, Dick was surprised but he recovered quickly enough and wrapped his arms around her as well. He knew Kori was very close to her emotions and she was not afraid to show them, unlike him... though, after many years of knowing her, things had changed for him. He was not as closed and guarded as he used to be before he met her.

"You know, I've been thinking," he started as he drew invisible patterns on her back. "We could move in together," he said, causing Kori to pull away so she could look at him. "If you would―" whatever he was going to say was cut off by Kori's lips on his and for the second time in that hour, he was surprised. Pleasantly so. 

Returning the kiss, he cupped Kori's cheeks before pulling away. "I will take that as a yes," he said, to which Kori smiled brightly in returned and nodded eagerly. 

"Yes, you can take that as a yes," she said before pulling him into another kiss. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she pressed her body against his as his hands settled on her waist.

It was impossible for them to tell how long they kissed, but they were both breathless when they pulled apart. Both happier than they had been in a long time.

"I love you," Dick whispered.

Kori smiled before she replied, "I love you too."

⊰❉⊱

Author's note: Hello! Thank you so much for reading another chapter. I am really sorry that I have not updated this story for a while. Also, please don't forget to vote, share & comment if you enjoyed this chapter.