Chapter 15 - Library

××Wild××

Zypher shooed the black and gray manta ray Onyx away as he flew too close to his face making me frown. It didn't seem like he liked them much. Since we had left the town, Zypher hadn't left my side and continued to hover near me even when we were a good ways away.

Link, the green manta ray, and Skip, the blue brother flew in circles around me as Onyx cuddled into my neck after being rejected by Zypher.

Zypher glanced at me before he began speaking, "They're going to need to eat at some point and I have no idea what their diet is like."

"Oh gosh, you're right. Should we try to get them to eat some berries or something?" I asked, looking around for any bush in sight. I hadn't even thought of what we would need to take care of these little guys.

"The next town coming up might have a library. Maybe they'll have a book about them." Zypher said, his gaze trained on the path in front of us.

"Okay." I said, agreeing with his plan. The walk to the next town was peaceful. Zypher held my hand as the rays flew and played around us. I think I even saw him smile.

As soon as we stepped into the town borders, we were greeted. Left and right people said hello. I tried my best to be polite but Zypher quickly pulling me by the kind people showed that we weren't here to talk.

"Hello boys!" A lady with her hair down in a braid said, smiling brightly.

"Hi, do you have a library here? A public one?" I questioned, we were getting nowhere by ignoring people.

"Oh yes! Go down main street and you'll see a big brick building. You can't miss it!" I nodded my thanks and Zypher whisked me away in the correct direction.

The woman was right that we wouldn't be able to miss it. The red brick building was huge, looking to be about three stories tall. Above the entrance sat a sign labeled Brownswick Library. A frown landed on my face when a smaller sign caught my attention. Near the door, sat a sign that read 'No Pets Allowed'. I pointed towards the sign with one hand and tugged on Zyphers jacket with the other to get his attention.

"Looks like the rays can't go in and I'm not letting you stay out here alone so get in there and find the book," Zypher ordered. I frowned but began walking towards the large front doors. Before I could get more than a step away, Zyphers hand shot out and grabbed onto my arm. "Please be careful."

I smiled at the worry in his eyes, knowing he was showing he cared. "I will." Zypher nodded and slowly let his arm fall back to his side. Zypher squashed the rays close to his body to keep them from flying with me and I couldn't help but laugh a little at his irritated expression.

I let the outside world close behind me and quickly became immersed in the larger than life library. The walls were lined with bookshelf upon bookshelf. Rows were set out in front of me, each holding the full capacity of books possibly. I'm sure the two floors above my head were close to looking like this.

I located a woman who looked like she worked here and she immediately pointed me in the direction of a bookshelf full of information about foreign and native species. I passed over the books about the humanoid species and found my way to the creatures section.

Mandrakes and Where to Find Them. Nope.

Manticors. Another nope.

Minotaur and the Labyrinth. Interesting but also a no.

I seemed to be striking out in the M section so I decided to try my luck at F. The little guys were flyers so maybe they were in a more generalized book. I ran my hand along the spines as I whispered the names to myself and almost jumped in joy when I found one labeled Categorizing Flying Beasts. I pulled the book from the shelf and quickly began flipping through the book.

The first page I opened had a drawing of a Wyvern on it, teeth bared and blood on its claws. I shivered and flipped more towards the front until I found a page with the header Manta Ray. I smiled to myself and skimmed down the page. They were herbivores, and like I thought, berries were a favorite food.

I jumped in fright when a hand landed on my shoulder very suddenly. I looked up quickly, expecting to see Zypher, but instead was met with a tall man owning a pair of deep purple eyes. Eyes that seemed to be analyzing my every breath. I glanced at his hand on my shoulder and looked back at him confused.

"Oh, I'm so very sorry. I just wished to gain your attention." Purple eyes said, smiling sweetly.

"It's uh, okay. Is there something you need?" I asked, trying my best not to show how uncomfortable I was with the situation.

"No, just was wondering if I could get to know you a little better?" The purple eyed man asked, inching closer.

"I'm not exactly comfortable with that." I said lowly, taking a few quick steps back. When he took another step towards me, I turned and ran. I raced around a couple isles before looking back to find the strange man following me.

I pushed myself to go faster and quickly found myself outside. Zypher was at my side in seconds and after taking in my panicked form, he pulled us away from the library in a fast but casual manner.

"What's going on?" Zypher asked, his eyes darting around every corner and curve.

"T-there was a guy in the library. He touched my arm and then started to follow me when I ran." I said quickly, looking behind me once more.

"What?! What did he look like?" Zypher practically yelled, catching the attention of a couple walking near us.

"Purple eyes. Blue hair I think." I said, thinking back as best I could. I felt his hand tense in mine and he eyes widened a fraction.

"We need to leave. Now."