Chapter 16 - Bear

××Zypher××

"I can't believe that guy has been following us." Wild said, shock still embedded in his voice.

"Sorry I didn't tell you. A lot happened after the encounter." I said.

"It's okay. I understand." Wild said, sending me a small smile that made my heart skip a beat. I turned away to stop myself from pulling him flush against me.

"Let's settle down here." I said. It was getting too dark to be walking around the forest. I began taking the things we'd need for the night out of my bag while Wild started digging a hole for a fire. I set a blanket on the ground and turned around, surprised to see the fire already started.

I didn't question it and handed Wild a bag of food. I sat down near the fire and pulled Wild down next to me. I smirked at the blush dusting his cheeks and took a few pieces of dry meat out of the bag Wild was holding. We cuddled together until the fire began burning out.

"Let's get some sleep." I said. Wild nodded while yawning. I took my jacket off and tossed it aside as Wild laid down. I pulled the blanket over both of us and wrapped my arms around him as he snuggled into my chest. Suddenly he gasped and yelled out.

"What's wrong?" I asked frantically, pulling back to look him over for injuries.

"One of your knives stabbed me!" Wild exclaimed, bringing a finger up between us. A few drops of blood escaped the wound before Wild stuck the finger in his mouth to stop the bleeding. Heat pooled in my groin at the sight but I quickly pushed the thoughts out of my mind.

"I'm sorry." I said pitifully. I reached down and pulled the offending knife from my belt. I frowned but tossed it on top of my jacket. I didn't like being completely defenseless but I didn't want to risk Wild being hurt again.

Wild smiled his thanks and curled back up on my chest. I ran a hand through his long hair slowly and stared up at the starry night sky until I fell into a content slumber.

I woke up with a start when something directly next to us growled. My eyes snapped open just as Wilds scream met my ears and I felt a pressure against my chest. My ears rang from the loud noise but I paid no mind to the pain when I saw what had caused it. A bear was standing directly over us and it cutting into Wild, who was sleeping on top of me, was the pressure on my chest.

I rolled us to the side just as it put its large paws down again. Wild cried out when his back hit the ground and I whispered a thousand sorrys in his ear as I pushed myself off the ground to face the bear. My hand instinctively went to the knife I always kept on my belt. When I felt nothing, panic shot through me.

I glanced to the side to see the fire and quickly reached into the embers to use a log as a weapon. It was burnt at the end and as soon as I picked it out of the fire, seemed to reignite suddenly. The bear growled deep in its throat as I raised the fiery weapon at it.

It charged at me and I quickly brought the log down onto its head. Just at it was an inch from the large animals head, I yelled.

"Strength!"

The crack of the bears skull and the log breaking rang throughout the forest, bouncing off the trees and carrying the sound further. I sighed in relief when it dropped to the ground in a heap.

I turned to Wild, my eyes widening when I saw him passed out where I had left him. I rushed to his side and turned him over gently. His back was torn to shreds and blood was spilling out of the wounds. I bundled the blanket up and set Wilds head carefully on top of it before finding my bag under my jacket.

I pulled a wad of bandages and a canteen of water out of it before scrambling back to Wilds side. I carefully and slowly pulled his shirt off of his body before pouring the water out onto his back. The gashes were bad but thankfully already slowly healing because of the fairy species natural genes. I wrapped the bandages around his body a few times and made sure they were secure.

I felt the unfamiliar feeling of tears behind my eyes knowing that I wasn't able to protect him. I couldn't even get him help because of how far from civilization we were. I rolled Wild onto his back carefully and set his head on my lap. I shoved the blanket under him to ensure his back had something soft to settle against. The only thing I could do now was wait.

It was hours until Wilds eyes began to flicker open. I surprised us both when I leaned down and pressed our lips together. We stared at each other, unsure of what to do next. I pulled away awkwardly and began filling the silence.

"I was so scared you weren't going to wake up. I should have protected you better. I don't know what I would have done," I said quickly, it sounded almost like I was scolding him for passing out. Wild gazed up at me with a happy but pained look. "I can't lose you. I can't. Not now, not ever."

"I promise you won't." Wild rasped out. I reached over and grabbed the canteen from where I had set it down next to us. I brought it to Wilds cracked lips and tipped it back. Wild took a few sips but struggled from the position he was laying in causing a few drops to slide down his chin. I set the canteen aside and used a finger to wipe the water away. My hand paused when it met Wilds lips. My eyes moved to meet his.

Wild reached up and set his hand on my cheek, bringing my face down closer to his. "I'm not going anywhere." He said before leaning up and pressing our lips together once again.

-----
Dedicated to @NajaHaveThomsen1 for the nice comment!