One

"Pogo! I'm headed out to get some more booze! Lemme know if anyone else shows up!"

"Yes, Miss Vivian."

I grabbed my coat from where it was strewn across the couch, pulling it on as I walked through the entrance to the academy.

"More alcohol? Really, Vi?" Allison asked, grabbing my arm as I passed.

"Klaus is gonna want some when he gets here, and I'm running low. Besides, it's a funeral, Alli! Better being drunk than being solemn at the death of dear ole dad!" I twisted my arm out of her grasp and shot her a grin.

See, while my brother Klaus prefers drugs, I like to numb my feelings in the form of drinking. It's a bit less illegal, and I can stay acting relatively normal while drunk.

"Be back soon," Allison told me, a worried look that I had most certainly not missed on her face.

"Of course, Alli!" I called over my shoulder, and shut the door behind me.

The whole dysfunctional family was gathering at the home I had lived in for all the thirty years of my existence, and I wasn't particularly looking forward to having to share the mansion again. It had been just myself, my eccentric old adopted father, my mother and our butler for years, and soon it was going to be all six of the alive Hargreeves kids. I most definitely did not want to be sober for that.

I hurried across the street, ignoring the honking of a blue car I had walked in front of. Brushing off the concerned stares of a group of elderly women on the corner, I slowed to a stroll, gladly taking in the fresh air. It was going to rain soon, I could tell, but it was nice to be outside. I normally only went out to get the groceries for the week.

After a few minutes, I was greeted with the familiar storefront of the nearest liquor shop to home. I pushed open the door, sending the jingle of a small bell through the store and alerting the three men inside of my presence.

"Hey, Viv! What's up?" Jerry, the owner of the shop, asked.

"My insane family is in town for my dad's funeral," I said, walking up to the counter and resting on it. The two men browsing the isles looked at me like I was extremely weird, then went back to their shopping.

"Rough. The usual?"

"Yeah, but add in a bottle of whatever Klaus had last."

"How's he, then?"

"No clue," I chuckled, messing around with the key chains advertised near the counter. "I haven't seen him in months. Pogo says he got out of rehab, like, yesterday. Should show up at some point, he'll want the money left to him. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if the old man left no one but Luther and Allison anything." I shook my head, leaving the key chains alone as Jerry plunked a bag on the counter.

"It's on the house. It's the least I can do to ease your suffering." Jerry smiled.

"Gracias, mi amigo!" I grinned, grabbing the bag and swinging it around as I walked towards the door.

"Good luck with the fam!"

I took my sweet time getting home, procrastinating social interaction for as long as I could. I liked Klaus's, and, on the rare occasion, Diego's company, and didn't mind Allison and Luther half the time, but Diego and Luther were constantly arguing, which got on one's nerves if you had to spend an eternity with them. As for Vanya, our sister, I wasn't sure if she would even show up, or if I'd want her to be there. We hadn't left off on very good terms. A.K.A., there was shouting, and some door slamming. Not a fun time. But after my siblings left again, I'd have the house to myself. Of course, Mother and Pogo would be there, but Father couldn't restrict me anymore. No more rules. I could leave anytime!