Twelve

"Hello? Guys?"

Vanya Hargreeves got no response from her siblings. She didn't see them in the living room, and after checking the kitchen, she made her way upstairs.

As she passed her room, she heard muffled sobs coming from further down the hallway.

"Allison?" She checked the rooms as she passed them, then stopped at Vivian's taking a few steps in when she saw three of her siblings in the room.

The muffled weeping was coming from Allison, who was in the corner, enveloped in a hug from Luther. The large man had tears slowly dripping down his face as he stared at the floor, not acknowledging that she had entered the room.

Five was sitting on the loveseat Vivian had dragged from a spare room to sit in front of her window, his arms wrapped around his knees, gazing vacantly down into the courtyard.

"I came as fast as I could, what-" Vanya took a few steps into the room and saw Diego sitting at the foot of the bed, staring at their sister's blood-covered face.

The girl wasn't moving, and from her sibling's tears, she could tell Vivian was gone.

A hand flew to the woman's face, and she choked back a sob. It was Ben all over again. She was losing a sibling for the second time.

"What happened?" 

There was a pause, and Luther, taking his role as leader even after a death, spoke up.

"When the masked guys broke in, they took her and Klaus to a motel and they-" he took a shaky breath- "they tortured them."

"My-my friend found them, went in without backup. They shot her and Viv. Neither of them were alive when I got there," Diego finished the story as tears streamed down Vanya's face.

She was off worrying about her violin performance and Leonard while her family had been tortured and... God, she was a horrible person. How could she have not been there for them? 

"Where's, uh, where's Klaus? Is he okay?" She asked.

"He wasn't there when I got there. Maybe he escaped, maybe he-" Diego cut himself off, looking down to his hands.

"I- does Pogo know?"

Diego nodded.

"I'm gonna go check on him." Vanya stumbled out of the room, leaving her sister's body behind with no intent to find and comfort the chimpanzee.

The siblings stayed there in silence for a few moments before Allison excused herself from the room, shaking her head when Luther tried to follow her. She needed to be alone.

The three brothers stayed where they were. Diego and Luther could pretend to be stoic and strong all they wanted, but they needed someone to grieve with. Five was simply lost in his thoughts.

So they stayed in the bedroom as the sun sunk lower in the sky and their prayers that Vivian would sit up and proclaim that it was just a joke went unanswered.

Hours later, Luther broke the silence.

"Five, who were those guys? What the hell do they want you for?"

"They work for my former employer. A woman called The Handler. She sent them to stop me. Diego's friend got in the way of that, they eliminated the threat to their mission. Viv didn't give them the answers they wanted, they killed her. They're trained to be ruthless, kill anyone they have to to accomplish their goal. Vivian was..." he sighed. "Viv was fair game."

"Well now they're fair game. And I'm gonna see to it that they pay for what they did," Diego's tone was calm and controlled, but he was ready to do anything to kill the ones who had killed two of the women dearest to him.