Chapter 6: Dreams

Credence's P.O.V

A rocking ship, jolts me from my sleep. I hear the winding shrieking outside of the large boat, waves crashing and licking the sides. I try to scramble off of my cot, but the swaying makes it hard to gain my footing. I don't know why but I want to get on the deck, sudden urgency to leave the cabin. I finally scramble on my feet, walking in a crooked line on the wooden floor I make my way to open air. The foam of the sea sprays onto the concrete of the deck, the whole ship groaning. In the open I feel small and fragile, the storm a force of nature spitting her wrath on this tiny vessel. I feel a presence in the night, I start and find Leta standing next to me a malicious smirk on her face. To quick for me to react Leta shoves off the railing of the ship, along with a gust of wind at my back. I feel the lack of ground as I fall towards the churning sea, the laughter of Leta fills my ears. The impact of the water on my back steals the breath from my chest. Soon the sea engulfs my body and my lungs are screaming for any molecule of air, something to get rid of the salt. My vision fades in the corners as I choke on the sea, gasping for air but only swallowing more water.

My eye snap open as the dream starts to fade, my whole body is in a stone cold sweat, the bedding tangled around me, choking. I try to breath to get down any air but the tendrils of my nightmare still linger constricting my throat. My eyes shutter as I force a finger down my throat to make myself gag, to open my airways. Cool life giving air slides down my throat, my chest heaving quickly. My body now shakes with the effort not to throw up from the self induced gagging. I'm used to the nightmares by now, there has never been such a thing as a good night's sleep in my remembrance. Still trembling, I stagger to the window sill, the world tilting and swaying. I still down on the padded sill pressing my temple to the cold glass. The coolness loosens the grip of the dream, I swallow down the vomit. I close my eyes and try to imagine candles winking out one by one, imagine tendrils of smoke leaving my brain. I still feel the rocking of a boat under my feet, the groan of the wind but I am not choking, it's better than most nights. A few breaths later I am able to open my eyes and stare out to the bright, twinkling stars. The lonely man in the moon shining in his sadness, a small comfort for lonely people. The brightness of the novas on the black velvet backdrop chases away more of the dream. I start to slowly rock back and forth, trying the shake away the fear. A flash of movement in the sky catches my eye. I spot a small orange speck in the distance, growing bigger as it gets closer to the window. I cock my head in wonder. Soon, I can make out the faint outline of a bird, speeding toward the glass. Hands shaking I open the window to let the orange bird in. Even closer the brilliant orange, and red plumage of the bird. I realize with amazement it's a Phoenix, the very same that grew from the raven chick I rescued long ago. It glides elegantly through my window, it's small weight settling on my shoulder. My hand is still shaking as I raise it to pet the bird. Something wet falls on my hand, and it steadies. More water drips from my shoulder and the nightmare ebbs away like smoke on the wind. I look up and see that the moisture is coming from the Phoenix, the bird is crying resting its head on mine. Our eye meet and a flash of understanding shines through them. I stroke the Phoenix, and softly whisper to him, "I shall call you Fawkes."

Hey, I finally updated!! I hope you like it, it is going to get more exciting soon. I like the idea that this is Fawkes from the HP books but it is only a theory, no hate. See you guys next chapter.