Chapter 3: Why Does His Threat Affect Me In A Way That It Shouldn't?

I was on the verge of sobbing. Lafayette, in the same house as me for who knows how long? It was almost too much for me to handle.

   My house was relatively big...maybe we wouldn't bump into each other that often..?

   No...we definitely would. My luck wouldn't let us be separated for more than two seconds.

   I sighed, letting go of the pillow that I had been cuddling with for the past fifteen minutes. I sat up, running a hand down my face.

   This can't possibly get any worse, I thought, grabbing a book. I wanted to pass as much time in my room as I possibly could.

   I flipped open to the page I had left on, ready to let my mind drift into another world. A world where my sworn enemy wasn't living with me. A world where someone else was suffering and not me.

   I started to read, tuning out the outside world.

   Remember how I thought that things couldn't get any worse?

   Guess what?

   They did.

   That's not really a surprise, though. That's just my luck.

   Why can't the universe throw me a bone every once in a while?

   Anyways, there was a knock at the door I had angrily slammed and locked when I dashed into my room.

   The knock ripped me out of the pretend world I was temporarily living in. I sighed and asked, "Who is it?"

   "Your worst nightmare~" a taunting, smooth voice said back. An annoying French accent oozed through its words. I knew exactly who it was, so you should too.

   "Go away, Lafayette," I grumbled. "I'm not ready to see your face. I might punch it if I do."

   There was a chuckle on the other side of the door. Then, Lafayette said, "No need to be hostile, (Y/N). I just wanna talk."

   "Yeah, sure," I mumbled. "I'm not letting you in."

   "It'll be a friendly conversation, I swear," Lafayette said.

   I thought for a minute. Him having a friendly conversation with me? It seemed suspicious. But something about his tone told me he wasn't lying.

   I defeatedly stood up and walked over to my door, opening it afterwards. "What?" I asked, a bit shocked at how cute Lafayette looked. I shoved that thought to the back of my mind, refusing to acknowledge it.

   Without saying anything, Lafayette slipped into my room and shut the dood behind him.

   "Wha--?" I started to ask, but cut off by him.

   "When have I ever wanted to have a friendly conversation with you?" he asked in a low tone that I found oddly attractive.

   Trying my hardest not to blush, I said, "Uh...I dunno...I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt this time." I smirked. "Which I shouldn't have, since you are and will always be an ass."

   Lafayette rolled his eyes. "Very funny." He smirked. "I just came in here to let you know that I'm not gonna leave you alone while I'm here," he whispered. "I'll do whatever it takes to drive you crazy, and you won't be able to go five seconds without seeing my face or hearing my voice."

   I gulped. His whispering made his threat sound even more...threatening, I guess. Trying to act like I wasn't scared, I growled, "I don't respond well to threats."

   Lafayette raised an eyebrow. "You don't, do you?" He stepped closer to me, causing me to instinctively step back.

   I shook my head, feeling my face heat up.

   Another smirk made its way onto Lafayette's face. "I don't care. Even if you put up a fight, I'll still find a way to drive you mad." He chuckled. "It won't be that hard, since you seem to flip out over every little thing."

   I decided to return the threat, since, hey, ruining Lafayette's time at my house would be a blast. I smirked. "I'll drive you nuts too," I said. "All I have to do is replace your baguettes with raw dough with pepper flakes in it and have a good laugh. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, anyways."

   Lafayette chuckled. "Oh, I'm smarter than you think," he said lowly. "And it'll take much more than raw dough with some pepper flakes in it to drive me crazy." He paused before saying, "And I happen to like spices."

   "And I happen to like my alone time," I growled, trying to ignore the strange way Lafayette was making me feel in that moment. "Now get out."

   "This is my house too, ya know," Lafayette said. "You can't tell me where to go."

   "This isn't your house!" I said loudly, beginning to lose my cool. "You're our guest!"

   "Calm down, (Y/N)," Lafayette said in that dumb low tone of his. "You look a little frustrated."

   "That's a bit of an understatement, don't you think?" I grumbled.

   Lafayette then suddenly grabbed my hand without warning. It shocked me greatly and also made me feel a bit flustered. "What are you doing..?" I squeaked.

   Not answering my question, Lafayette said, "You should be prepared for a lot of...how you say...pranks from me. I want to prove to you just how much I hate you and how much I want to strip you of your sanity."  

   "Gee, thanks," I mumbled.

   Then, to my surprise, Lafayette pressed his lips to my hand.

   I froze up, unaware of what to do. His lips lingered on my hand for longer than necessary, which made my heart race, whether I liked or not.

   Finally, after what felt like two million years, he let my hand go. He smirked. "You'll see me in your nightmares, love~" Then, without saying another word, he slipped out of my room as quickly as he had slipped in, shutting the door behind him.

   I was frozen in shock.

   What had just happened..?

   I flopped onto my bed, scared for two reasons.

   The first was that Lafayette was gonna make his time here awful for me.

   And the second was that the way he was speaking to me and the way he kissed my hand made me feel flustered...and rather good.

   I thought of his appearance, staring up at my ceiling.

   Why was he not terrible looking?

   Do I...do I like Lafayette..? I thought.

   I immediately shook my head to myself. No. I couldn't like my sworn enemy.

   Could I?

   No. Those feelings were just.., I thought. But my inner voice trailed off; I wasn't able to find an excuse.

   I told myself that those feelings could mean multiple things, but that it didn't mean that I liked Lafayette.

   Right?