Chapter 6: An Apology?

I was still crying into my pillow. I didn't even care that it was about as wet as Niagara Falls. I didn't even care that Lafayette was pounding on the door with his fists. All I could think about were Lafayette's words...all swirling around in my head.

   I thought a simple "no" would have sufficed. Or, better yet, a "yes". But I guess Lafayette felt otherwise, sadly. Like he had to destroy me as much as possible so that I wouldn't bother him again.

   Well, his plan worked. I would never bother him, or talk to him, ever again. There would be no more family get-togethers. No more going to that family's birthday parties. I didn't care if my mom or dad said I had to move on or if they told me I'd have to go to whatever stupid get-together they were planning. I wouldn't be going. I wouldn't be.

   "Lafayette, come downstairs!" my dad beckoned. "We'd like to have a word with you."

   Finally. Lafayette would have no choice but to tell my parents what he had done. He'd probably get kicked out. Served him right.

   A sigh came from the other side of my bedroom door, the rapid knocking stopping. "Yes, Mr. and Mrs. Washington..." Lafayette's voice sounded sad, like he was accepting his fate.

   I was excepting his fate as well. In fact, I was embracing it. He deserved whatever punishment my parents could conjure up.

   I then heard Lafayette make his way down the stairs to wherever my parents were. Wherever they were, though, it must've been pretty close to where I was, because I could hear the mumble of their conversation from upstairs.

   My curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to hear the lecture so I could laugh to myself. I got up, my face wet and tear-stained. I then creaked open my bedroom door, listening.

   My dad was talking. "What did you do to my daughter?" His voice sounded harsh. A tone I'd never heard him speak in to Lafayette. Hell, the only time he breaks that one out is when someone's about to be punished for whatever wrongdoing they'd committed.

A few seconds of silence on Lafayette's end. Then he said, "Um...I didn't do anything to her...you know how women's hormones can get the best of them, right..?"

"Liar," I whispered to myself, wiping stray tears from my (e/c) eyes. "You God damn liar."

"You obviously did something to her!" my mom said, her tone harsh as well, just not as harsh as my dad's was. "(Y/N) never cries just because her hormones are making her feel sad. She'll do something to distract herself. Read, write, stuff like that. She wouldn't come up to us in complete and utter hysterics. Now tell us what you did to her."

Lafayette probably could've survived without the vivid description of what I did when my hormones made me feel sad, but at least my parents weren't dropping the matter.

"You guys are going to hate me for this..," Lafayette said quietly. "Well..," he continued, his volume increasing a little, "(Y/N) told me that she liked me—more than just as friends—and...I...laughed at her...told her that no one would want to date her...and told her she meant nothing to me..." Lafayette sighed with what I thought was regret. I couldn't have been sure, though, since that man stated that he had no feelings for me whatsoever.

I smiled to myself. The lecture would be coming in three...two...one...

"Why in the world would you have rejected her like that?!" my mom shrieked. "A simple 'no' would have sufficed!"

"Thank you!" I mumbled to no one in particular.

"Lafayette, we want an explanation now! And it better be good, or we're throwing your sorry ass out of here!" my dad hissed.

I smirked with satisfaction. Lafayette was gonna make up some stupid excuse. I knew it.

   "You know what, it doesn't matter why you did it! Go apologize to (Y/N) right now! And you better have a reasonable explanation too!" my mom said.

   "But—" Lafayette began, but my dad cut him off.

   "No buts! Now!"

   With a defeated sigh, Lafayette began to walk up the stairs.

   I did not want that man coming into my room, even if it was to apologize. So I slammed my door shut and locked it.

   Once Lafayette approached my door, he knocked on it quietly. "(Y/N), please let me in..," he said softly. "I've come here only to apologize."

   "Because my parents told you to," I hissed. "You wouldn't have even attempted to if they didn't threaten to kick you out."

   "I can see how you'd believe that," Lafayette said with a sigh. "But I swear that the apology I desire to give you is genuine."

   I couldn't help but smile at how Lafayette spoke so sophisticatedly even in the most casual situations. It was probably the French in him.

   I let out a sigh of my own. "You're not gonna leave until I let you in, are you?"

   "Nope," Lafayette said. A little part of me felt proud that he was picking up on English slangs better.

   I let out another sigh. "Fine." I unlocked and opened my door. "Come in—whoa."

   Lafayette looked awful. I don't mean awful as in bad looks. I mean awful as in emotionally strained. His hair was a mess (even more than usual), he had what looked like tears in his eyes, and just had an overall helpless looking demeanor. He actually looked kinda cute in such a state.

   Lafayette didn't question why I had said "whoa"; he probably already knew. Instead, he walked into my room, staying silent. He sat on my bed and patted the spot next to him.

   I sat down, not feeling like giving Lafayette a hard time. He didn't need that right then.

   He looked deep into my eyes and said, "(Y/N), I'm so, so, so, sorry..."

   I almost wanted to accept his apology right then and there, but what he did wasn't okay. I needed an explanation.

   I opened my mouth to ask for one, but Lafayette started speaking before I could start.

   "As a matter of fact, I like you too. More than as friends, I mean."

   I was taken aback by his words. So taken aback that I almost fell backwards.

   What?!