Chapter 9: Her Too?

I set my book down. Meh. It was okay. Not the best thing I'd ever read, but not the worst, either. The plot could've been better.

   I groaned and ran a hand down my face. There was nothing to do at my house besides reading or writing, and I had done them both for at least three hours. I mean, there was always the option of talking to Lafayette, but meh. Didn't really feel like doing that in that moment.

   So that's why I was more ecstatic then a dog when he gets to munch on a tiny piece of cheese when someone knocked on our door.

   "I'll get it!" I heard Lafayette announce from downstairs.

   "NO. I'LL GET IT," I yelled, zooming down the stairs like Sonic would. I shoved Lafayette away from the door and opened it, and smiled widely. "Peggy?! What are you doing here?"

   Peggy was another friend of mine, and was coincidentally another Schuyler. I don't know what it is about the Schuylers that draw me to them.

  Peggy smiled back at me. "Angie invited me up to her vacation house. So I figured I'd see you as well!"

   I was legit praising Jesus for sending a life form that didn't live in my house, well, to my house. "Cool! Come on in!"

   Peggy walked in with another smile. She then froze when she saw Lafayette, her face turning red. She glanced at me, obviously not knowing about our living arrangements. "H-hi..," she mumbled shyly.

   I gulped. As soon as Peggy had uttered that one word, I knew she liked Lafayette. And not platonically. I didn't wanna have to tell her we were dating and break her heart...

   Lafayette didn't seem to know about Peggy's obvious feelings though. It was either that or he was trying to pretend he didn't know. He gave her a friendly smile and grabbed her hand, pressing his lips to it.

   I didn't flip out, though. I knew that was a polite way to greet women in France. It didn't necessarily mean anything.

   But Peggy might not have known that.

   Her face turned an even deeper shade of red as Lafayette did this. After a polite amount of time, he took his lips away from her hand. "Pleasure seeing you, Ms. Schuyler."

   Peggy held the hand Lafayette had kissed to her chest, smiling shyly. "The pleasure's all mine, Lafayette..."

   Lafayette then looked like he knew something was up. He glanced at me briefly before saying, "Well, as much as I would love to stay and chat with you ladies, I must be off. I'm making dinner for (Y/N) and her folks tonight."

   Another quizzical glance from Peggy. Last time she checked, Lafayette and I were enemies. She then turned to Lafayette and responded with, "Okay. I'll see you around. If we happen to bump into each other again, I mean..."

   I rolled my eyes. The house wasn't that big. Of course they would bump into each other.

   Lafayette nodded. Another glance at me, and off he went.

   I grabbed Peggy's hand and dragged her upstairs and into my room. I shut the door behind us and sat on my bed, patting the spot next to me.

   Peggy hesitantly sat there. "What's going on?" She asked.

   "Do you have feelings for Lafayette?" I simply said. No time to segue. I needed an answer, even though I was pretty sure her answer was gonna be yes.

   Peggy's face immediately turned red and she became very defensive. "What? Why would you think that? Pfft, of course I don't. He's ugly."

   I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

   "Yes, I'm—" Peggy then cut herself off, sighing. "Okay, yeah...I do..."

   I bit my lip. I really didn't wanna tell Peggy that Lafayette and I were courting. It would break her little heart—!

   "But I think he likes me back!" She said with a beam. "Did you see the way he kissed my hand?"

   Honey, he does that to every woman. It's merely a greeting. A French custom, I thought. Her beliefs were going to make it even harder to tell her the truth. "Peggy, listen..."

   "Don't you think he likes me?" Peggy asked, completely ignoring me. "I think so! I really think he does!"

   "Peggy, Laf doesn't like you!" I said.

   Her eyebrows knitted together. "That's kinda rude to say..," she stated. "How do you know that? Am I really that undesirable?"

   I rest a hand on Peggy's knee. "Of course you're desirable. You're desirable as hell. But..." I paused, "...Lafayette doesn't like you because he's courting me."

   Peggy blinked at me. I could practically see the cogs in her head turning, trying to process the information she'd been given. "You're joking, right?" she finally asked. "Please tell me you're joking."

   I shook my head, smiling sadly.

   Peggy looked down at my bedsheets. "But...I thought you and Lafayette were enemies..?"

   "We were," I said. "But we soon came to find that we liked a lot of things about each other, and—"

   "Spare me of your shitty love story," Peggy mumbled. "I get it. He doesn't want me. You don't have to make it worse for me."

   "Peggy, I'm sor—"

   "You know, this has to be a prank, right? Enemies can't just decide they like each other," Peggy said.

   They can, though. Because that's what happened, I thought. "They kinda can..."

   "You know what? I don't believe you. Lafayette wouldn't kiss the hand of someone he didn't like!" Peggy stated.

   "You realize kissing women's hands is a French custom, right? They do it to be polite and nothing more." I almost cringed at myself, since that sounded a little harsh.

   "Yeah, sure. What do you know about French people?"

   "A French person is courting me!"

   "Stop with that bullshit! I know you're lying!" Peggy smirked. "Okay...if I asked Lafayette if you two were courting, he'd say yes, then?"

   "Yeah!" I said.

   "Okay. Then we're gonna put that theory to the test then," Peggy said with an evil grin. She didn't realize how stupid she was about to make herself look.

   She then grabbed my hand and said, "Come on. You're coming with me."

   "Okay," I said, shrugging. She then began to pull me down the stairs.

   Ah, denial. Something that will consume your soul and make you look stupid.

   And Peggy's denial did both of those things to her.