Chapter 8: It's All Up To Them

I've got to admit, when I thought of my crush asking me to court him, I was expecting something better. I was expecting to jump into his arms, hug him, kiss him, do cheesy stuff.

Not wait for my parents to come up the stairs, the entire fate of my and Lafayette's relationship resting in their hands. At any time, their hands could close around the relationship, crushing it into pieces, forcing me and Lafayette to part ways.

And the scary thing was, we couldn't say no if that's the decision they came to. My parents would always rule over me, and defying them wouldn't do any good. It would just get me punished, and not being with Lafayette was punishment enough.

   I exhaled nervously, staring at my bedsheets.

   "What's wrong?" Lafayette asked me. His voice then changed from concerned to panicked. "You're not...having second thoughts about allowing me to court you...right..?"

   I giggled. "No, of course not." I looked up at Lafayette, smiling. "I'm just...nervous, I guess. That my parents won't allow us to court. My mom is super strict about these things."

   "What about your dad?" Lafayette asked, his voice more relaxed. "Doesn't he have a say in this?"

   "My dad just goes with whatever my mom says," I shrugged. "He's like her little back-up. It's really annoying."

   "My parents are like that too," Lafayette stated. "Except it's the other way around. My mom is the one that's the back-up."

That's when Lafayette and I heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

I resisted the urge to cling onto Lafayette's arm like a koala bear as I inhaled and exhaled, trying to calm myself down.

They would say yes...

Right?

My mom and dad walked into my room. My mom glared at Lafayette, since she hadn't been told why he so rudely rejected me. "So, what did you guys want to ask us?" Her voice was a bit angry-sounding.

I looked at Lafayette, not wanting to do the heavy-lifting on this one. He was stronger than me, anyway. Both physically and emotionally.

Lafayette looked back at me, his eyes telling me that he didn't wanna ask, since my mom looked so intimidating.

I didn't care if he wanted to or not. I was gonna make him.

I raised my eyebrows and glanced over at my mom.

Lafayette sighed, accepting his fate. "Well...I don't exactly know how to say this, Mr. and Mrs. Washington..." he paused, "...but I would really, really, love to court your daughter, and I wanted to ask your permission first. So...may I court (Y/N)? Please?"

   My mom looked very confused. "Wait a minute...you just rejected her, now you're asking to court her..?" She looked at my dad. "George, do you know what's going on?"

   "Please, allow me to explain, Mrs. Washington," Lafayette said with a small smile. "The reason I rejected your daughter was because I thought she was pranking me when she confessed to me. And I was afraid if I confessed my real feelings as well, she would laugh at me and insult me, much like I did to her." He exhaled. "But, as you can see, she was not lying. And I actually have feelings for her too. So...please let me court her."

   My mom exchanges looks with my dad, almost like they were talking to each other with their eyes.

"How do we know you're not gonna play games with my daughter?" my mom asked Lafayette.

"Our daughte—" my dad tried to add, but my mom cut him off.

"For all we know, this is another one of your pranks! And that after a few months of 'courting', you'll dump (Y/N) and say you never loved her!"

Lafayette's eyes widened and he shook his head quickly. "That is not what's going to happen! I swear! I will never leave her, and I can assure you that I love your daughter dearly. I can also assure you that I will be the perfect gentleman and that I will not betray her in any way."

A frown of thought crossed my mom's face. She once again glanced at my dad. 

   My dad nodded to her.

   My mom sighed and mumbled, "Fine. But if I hear anything about you breaking my daughter's heart or forcing things on her, you're out of here. Got it?"

   Me and Lafayette both knew what my mom meant by "forcing things on her".

   Lafayette turned scarlet, as did I. "M-Mrs. Washington! I-I would never—" he began, only to have my mom cut him off.

   "Got it?" my mom repeated through gritted teeth.

   "Yes, ma'am," Lafayette responded quickly, desperately wanting to end the conversation.

   My mom turned to my dad, giving him a curt nod. She left, and Dad followed her.

   I smiled at Lafayette. "So...I guess we're a couple now, huh?"

   Lafayette smiled back. "I guess we are..."

   In an awkward attempt to lean in for a kiss, we ended up bumping our heads together. We both did it too fast, I guess.

   I winced and moved my head away, chuckling. "Hehe...as you can see, I'm not that good at taking part in cheesy, kissy moments."

   Lafayette smiled at me. "Ah, that's okay. Truthfully, I'm not either." He paused before saying with a wider grin, "Maybe we can help each other out in that department."

   I blushed, nodding. "I would like that, Laf."

   I had never called Lafayette "Laf" before, considering that was a nickname only his loved ones addressed him by. But, considering I had just became a loved one, I felt that I could call him that now without that being gag-worthy.

   Lafayette noticed that I had used his nickname. He giggled quietly and looked down. "I'd never thought I'd be so happy to hear my nickname come out of your mouth."

   I smirked. "Happy to brighten your day for you."

   I was going to kiss Lafayette, but, for some reason, a bubble of anxiety rose inside of me at the thought. I had done it before, but I was scared to do it again. Don't know why.

   Instead, I wrapped my arms around Lafayette and pulled him in for a hug.

   Lafayette immediately hugged back, not minding that we didn't kiss. "You mean a lot to me, mon amour," he whispered.

   I smiled. "You mean a lot to me too..."

   And that's how the story of Lafayette and (Y/N) begins.