Chapter 4: Why Am I Feeling These Feelings, Angelica?

I was still trying to calm down. Lafayette shouldn't have made me feel the way that he did. He was my enemy! He was the person that I had hated the most since I was a youngster.

   So why was I feeling that way about his actions..?

   In the back of my mind, I had a feeling that I liked (more than just as friends, obviously) Lafayette. What else could explain the feelings I was feeling?

   But I refused to believe that. I was very much in denial.

   I decided that I wanted a friend's opinion on the situation.

   I stood up, opened my bedroom door, and went downstairs. Angelica definitely would be able to tell me why I was feeling the way I did when Lafayette threatened me.

   Thank God she was on vacation. Otherwise, I'd have to travel all the way to New York to see her.

   Her vacation house wasn't that far from my house, so I could get there on foot.

   Once I was downstairs, I noticed that my parents weren't in the living room anymore.

   I shrugged. Whatever. They were probably in the kitchen or outside, staring at the scenery around them. They did that a lot.

   I was old enough where I didn't have to ask my parents for permission to leave the house, so I strolled up to the front door, grabbing the knob of it so that I could pull it open.

   "Where are you going?" I heard someone say from behind me.

   I knew who it was. The French accent gave it away.

   I sighed wearily and turned around. "To my friend Angelica's house."

   Lafayette smirked. "Ooh, that's the hot Schuyler sister, right?"

   I didn't know why at the time, but my blood began to boil. "Yes," I said through gritted teeth.

   "May I come along~? I would really like to get a piece of her~" he purred.

   I scoffed, feeling even more angry. "You're a pig," I grumbled. "A disgusting pig."

   "Wait a minute," Lafayette said. "Doesn't she live in New York?"

   I nodded. "Yeah. But she's here on vacation."

   He nodded, smirking. "So...you never answered me about coming with you~..."

   "Wasn't me calling you a pig a pretty big hint?" I mumbled. "No!"

   "Come on!" Lafayette whined. "Last time I tried to win her over, Hamilton got in my way!"

   "I don't give a damn!" I said. "Besides, I have personal matters to discuss with her, anyways."

   I tensed up, not knowing why I had said that.

   Lafayette raised an eyebrow. "And what personal matters are you discussing?"

   "If it's personal, why the hell would I tell you?" I growled.

   Lafayette shrugged. "I dunno. I just want another reason to annoy you, I guess. And that would be a lot easier if I knew what you were discussing."

   "Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I'll be leaving now," I said. I then left the house and shut the door behind me, not giving Lafayette a chance to respond.

   I was outside now, and sure enough, my parents were there and staring at two birds building a nest.

   "I'm going to Angelica's," I stated, snapping my parents out of their daze.

   My mom smiled. "Okay, darling! Just be back in a few hours."

   I nodded, smiling back. My mother's smile was so contagious. "I will. This shouldn't take long. Bye, you guys."

   My parents bid me farewell, and with that, I began to walk to Angelica's house, knowing my feelings would soon have an explanation.

***

   I arrived at Angelica's not long after I had set out for that particular destination.

   I knocked on the door of her rather large vacation house, and the door opened moments later.

   Angelica was standing there, looking as beautiful as ever.

   Without saying a word, I opened my arms, silently asking for a hug.

   Angelica knew what my body language was asking for, since she ran into my arms and embraced me tightly.

   I hugged her back, smiling. "Hey, Angie."

   Angelica pulled apart, looking me up and down. "Hey yourself. You're looking wonderful today! Please, come in!"

   I smiled once more as Angelica led me into her vacation house.

   We sat down on the couch that was chillin' in her living room. "So, what brings you here?" Angelica asked.

   For a second, I actually forgot why I was there. But, it didn't take long for me to remember.

   I blushed, a bit embarrassed to tell Angelica about my feelings. "Um...well..."

   Seeing my red face and hearing my quivering voice, Angelica knew why I was here. She gasped. "Does (Y/N) have a crush?!"

   I was happy she verbalized it so I didn't have to. "Maybe..? I don't know...this particular boy is just making me feel really flustered all the time...and I totally lost it when he kissed my hand...he's really good-looking, too..."

   "He kissed your hand?!" Angelica squealed. "Wow! Now tell me, who is this boy you speak of?"

   I knew Angelica would know Lafayette, so I didn't even start off with a "his name is". I just said, "It's Lafayette."

   Angelica gasped. "Lafayette?" she echoed.

   I nodded.

   "Wow!" she exclaimed. "He is a pretty handsome one, indeed."

   "So do you think I like him?" I asked. Telling Angelica about how I felt when I was around Lafayette was enough to convince my brain that I did like him. Verbalizing words can grant you with a different perspective sometimes.

   "Without a doubt," Angelica answered. She smiled. "You should tell him how you feel. He seems like he would be a loving and loyal partner."

   "You realize that he hates me, right?" I asked.

   Angelica nodded. "But maybe his whole 'I hate you' show will disappear if you tell him how you really feel. Maybe that whole thing about you guys being enemies was just an act he put on. Maybe you'll get together if you tell him!"

   Interesting thought. "You might be right..," I said thoughtfully. Maybe if I came out to Lafayette about my feelings for him, he'd treat me nicer. Or...he might even ask to court me.

   "Of course I'm right," Angelica said with a smirk. "I'm always right."

   "Okay," I said with a roll of my (e/c) eyes. "I'll try telling him."

   "Good luck, soldier!" Angelica giggled, saluting me.

   I saluted back, said goodbye, and left her house.

   As soon as I stepped outside, nervousness formed in the pit of my stomach.

   What if Lafayette rejected me?

   Or worse, what if he rejected me and bullied me about the fact that I liked him?

   I exhaled and began to walk home, anxiety buzzing around in my stomach.

   I thought about just not telling Lafayette, but thought better of it. He deserved to know of my feelings for him. Because what if he liked me as well and was too scared to say so? I needed to say my feelings at one point or another. Even if he didn't share the same feelings, maybe we could be friends.

   I nodded, satisfied with my decision.

   I was going to tell Lafayette how I felt.