Chapter Six

A/N: Meh. Oof. 😶😫

Julian:

"Did you get that, Mr Carter?" I blinked but nodded at my teacher who smiled at me and went back to her desk so she could upload our homework assignment to the school website. That had been happening a lot more lately. Ever since Saint had spoken to Mr Johnston in English class, all the teachers had somehow gotten the message and would only speak when facing the class now. Did Saint really have that much influence?

It wasn't just the teachers though. The students had given me a wide berth before because I was the new kid, but now...now they gave me a wide berth because I was the kid Saint had started hanging out with for some reason. I heard them talk about it sometimes. In the cafeteria and in the hallways sometimes by the lockers because some people still thought I was deaf.

"Who is he, anyway? Why is Saint hanging out with him? Should we be friends with him too? Is there something special about him?"

One of the braver girls had asked me once, point blank why Saint was hanging out with me. Was I rich too or something? I hadn't known how to answer. I didnt know why either. Why WAS he hanging out with me? I couldn't think of a single reason why. It's not like he needed anything from me. What could he possibly want from me?

"Julian." I started when I felt a hand drop on my shoulder.

"Saint."

"I haven't seen you all day. You good?"

"I'm great." I said and he led me to his usual spot by the school fountain.

"Hold this." He handed me his bag and I held it to my chest while he popped a cigarette out of its pack and into his mouth. My nose wrinkled when he lit it up but I handed his bag back to him with a smile. "Don't you have Biology after lunch?" He asked me.

"I do." He nodded slowly and watched me as I sat down gingerly on the wet stone. "What about you?"

"Band."

"Band." I almost laughed. "You're in the school band?"

"Yeah." He grinned at me. "What's the matter? I don't look like a band geek?" I pursed my lips as I looked him up and down slowly. His shoes never shined and his uniform was always neat but he never WORE it neatly, like I did. There was also the leather jacket and the cigarettes that seemed to be permanently attached to his mouth. Did he even own a comb?

"No, you don't look like a band geek. What do you play?"

"This and that." He shrugged enigmatically.

"I see."

"Saint! Dude. I just got invited to the sweetest party ever!" I blinked in shock.

"Zac. I told you I don't want to go to anymore parties." Saint said and whoever this Zac was sat down next to him on the other side of the stone slab.

"I know that's what you SAID, but you obviously don't mean it. I mean - hey, you're the deaf guy right?" He stopped and looked over at me. "The deaf guy who isn't deaf..."

"That would be me." I blushed a little, not really knowing where to look. I hated it when people stared at me. Which was unfortunate because I always needed to look at their face to hear them. Unless of course, they were like Zac who was so loud I could hear him perfectly.

"I'm Zac." He offered and I gave him a small nod.

"Julian."

"Right." He looked at me just a little longer before his attention turned back to Saint. "So like I was saying, this party is going to be so sweet - "