Chapter Twenty Nine

Julian:

I knew even before my eyes were open that Saint was in the room with me. I could feel his warmth at the side of my bed and when my eyes did finally flutter open, I reached out with my hand to card my fingers through his hair. The dark strands were more unruly than usual, but it still felt soft. I could see why Saint like playing with my hair like this. It was soothing in a way.

When my hand trailed down to his face to brush over the dark circles under his eye, he twitched in his sleep and blinked awake slowly. He looked so tired. And younger for some reason.

"Hi." I smiled at him and he gave me one in return.

'Hey.'

"Sleepy?" I asked and he nodded, making my hand slip off his face. He reached for it as it dropped and pressed a light kiss on my knuckles.

'How are you?' He asked and suddenly I felt like crying again. It had taken me hours to stop yesterday, so I swallowed hard to keep the tears away and squeezed his hand hard when he slipped it in mine. 'Julian...'

His face disappeared when my eyes started to water and then he was up and moving me over so he could climb in the hosptial bed with me. His arms curled around my waist and I let him pull me close, sinking into his warmth. His smoky leather smell was so soothing.

We stayed like that, glued together until a nurse came in to give me my next dose of medicine. I didn't even know what these pills were for. Why was I taking them? I felt fine. The only medicine I'd ever taken was for my ears and that was ... a lost cause now.

I sniffed as I swallowed the pills with a glass of water and leaned against Saint when she left again, eyeing his leather jacket with disdain. Why did everyone seem to hate it so much? I gave it a pat and he looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Nothing." I whispered.

"Where is my mom?" I asked after Saint got me lunch from the hospital cafeteria. It was just a step up from the crap they served here in the ward. Maybe because the staff had to eat there too?

'Work.' He signed and handed me some apple juice. 'Drink.'

"This sucks. When can I go home? Hmm? Eat some real food." I grumbled.

'Tomorrow.' I read on his lips. 'Doc said there's nothing keeping you here.'

"OK." I ate slowly because I was still afraid of getting sick again, but my stomach was fine and with the drugs floating around in my system, I was asleep again soon after.

When I woke up, Saint was missing. There was a note lying on my bed sheets though.

'I gotta go home for a bit. I'll see you tomorrow.

- Saint ❤'

I was just sticking it inside my bedside drawer when my mother walked in.

"Hey, Mom." I grunted as I reached to close the drawer. She shuffled round the bed to close it for me and let her hand rest on my head.

'How are you feeling?'

"Fine. Sleepy." I fluttered my eyelashes at her and she smiled.

'All you've done is sleep.' She said and I stuck out my tongue at her.