Chapter Eleven

Saint:

I was tapping my box of cigarettes against the fountain when Julian came up from behind me and groaned at he sat down.

"You OK?" I asked as I slipped the butt between my lips.

"I hate science." He grunted and I smiled. Over the past few weeks that we'd been hanging out, that complaint had been popping up more and more.

"Hate is a strong word." I said and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"It's not strong enough." He said simply and I sat down next to him.

"What's bothering you? Maybe I can help you out."

"Everything." He threw his hands in the air.

"Everything?"

"I understand the principles. It makes sense. But when I try to apply it my mind just goes..." He squinted his eyes and I laughed out loud.

"Show me." I nudged his knee and he muttered to himself as he pulled out his text book.

I tried to pay attention as he showed me some of what had been bothering him in his class, but leaning over close to him like this was distracting. His curls were brushing the side of my face lightly and I could smell his shampoo. It was nice. Something flowery that smelt like spring and rain and ...

"Saint?" Julian said loudly and I blinked.

"Yeah?"

"Did you hear me?"

"Of course." I scoffed and glanced at his book quickly. His finger was still resting by the couper structure for carbon dioxide. "Polar bonds."

"So can you really help me?" He asked, eyes wide like a puppy's as he snapped his book shut.

"Sure. I can come over whenever you want." I said and he pulled a face. "Or you can come to mine. Either way is fine." His mouth opened but he never got to answer because Zac came crashing towards us.

"Guys. You'll never guess what I just heard." He gasped as he skidded to a stop in front of us.

"Party?" I raised my eyebrow and he gave me the finger.

"Shut up." He breathed, but he shoved his phone in my face. "Amber and Shelly's parents are out of town this weekend. It's supposed to be a "girls get-together" but we all know that just means only a few guys are going to be allowed over." He grinned as he sat down between the two of us. "You in?"

"No." I said sharply and he rolled his eyes.

"Julian?" He asked and Julian blinked at him in shock. To be honest, I was surprised too. Julian had been hanging out with us for a while now, but Zac had been treating him almost like he was expecting him to leave again at some point. Maybe the fact that he hadn't made him more accepting.

"What?" Julian asked as he took out his packed lunch.

"Are you in? The party?"

"Um..." He looked over Zac's shoulder to catch my eye but I shrugged. I had no idea if the thought of a party even appealed to Julian. He had told me once though that loud noises were almost as frustrating as soft noises. When the sound was all blurred together it just made his head hurt.

"All the hot girls will be there. I mean..." He paused. "Just name one. One hot girl that you've seen. She's probably going to be there." Julian's face went red and he fumbled with the lid of his lunch box.