Another Day

"So, whaddya think bout Davey?" Feister asked as she and Mush walked to their selling spot with their newspaper bags in tow. The sun was beating down hotter than ever, there wasn't a simple breeze, and the only shady spots were the stinky alleys. People hurried up and down the streets going about their business, while others were working hard to earn a living. "I mean can you believe 'im?" she then mimicked Davey when she said, "I'll pay you when I sell them." she laughed. But her laugh came out a little awkward.

Feister started kicking herself for sounding so dumb, and she didn't know why this was happening more and more. Ok, she knew exactly why it was happening. But the weird thing was that she's been friends with Mush for nine years! But all of a sudden when she starts liking him it becomes awkward. In the two years Feister's little crush came along, she started to think it was never going to happen. They were just friends, and that's all they ever were. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Yeah, I's bet he don't even know the first thing bout sellin'," Mush replied with a small laugh. Feister just nodded before looking away as she tucked a lose strand of hair out of her face. Mush just stuffed his hands in his pockets as kicked up a small rock. Usually something like that would make her laugh and then say something in that feisty tone he loves so much.

Maybe Feister's just tired from waking up so early, or maybe there was still some anger that was bubbling. Mush knew that even if Feister was still bubbling with anger he should just leave it alone, or risk the chances of making it worse. "Is everythin' ok?" Mush asked out of the blue.

"What?" Feister asked as she looked up at him.

"Ya seem a little off," he replied quietly with a shrug.

"I's fine, Mush brains," Feister replied, she gave a small smile before looking at the ground again. Mush saw this happen a lot more than usual, which got him thinking that...that maybe, just maybe that she....liked somebody. While she hasn't said anything, Mush couldn't help but think that Feister might have a crush on someone. He then started to think of the chances the other boys have. But he didn't think any of them were her type. Maybe it was that boy who bought a paper almost everyday, single, day. Every time that kid came by Mush felt his blood boil. Mush knew without a doubt that the kid was flirting with Feister, he could just see it in the way he looks at her. But, Mush was sure Feister wasn't aware of the flirting.

"C'mon, let's get ta work," Feister said as she slapped Mush with her paper. He slapped her back and they both ended up laughing, then it was off to work. "Extra! Extra! Cat burglary in Staten Island Estate!" Feister yelled as loud as possible. "Get it while it's still hot off the presses!" as soon as Feister yelled this a man quickly handed her a nickel before grabbing the paper and walked way.

The sun seemed to grow hotter and hotter with every passing moment. Feister felt all hot and sticky from the inside out, so she took off her cap and wiped her forehead. She then grumbled to herself after she realized what she just did. So stuffing the paper she was holding back in the bag, she then proceeded to put her cap back on and stuff her braids inside.

It was hard getting the first braid in, but Feister managed. Tucking in the second one was a bit harder since she didn't want the first one to fall. After a few tries and loud grumbles Feister managed to get both in. She tucked anything that was sagging in the back, and brushed away any fallen hairs before pulling her cap down so it wouldn't fall.

When Feister finished doing this she looked to see how Mush was doing. But instead of selling a newspaper she saw him take off his cap, wipe his forehead before slapping it back on with ease, and then smirked at her. Feister rolled her eyes since that's Mush's way of telling her that she should stop tucking her braids in.