Seize the Day

Seeing as I missed Friday's update, here's an extra chapter this week to make up for it :D Hope you enjoy!

───── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─────

"Is anyone else coming?" Davey asked. It was the morning of the strike and everyone was a little anxious to see how this would turn out. The day before had been a long one, all the newsies had gone to the other boroughs and every Lodging House in the city.

"I got no clue," Jack replied. Since it was so late by the time everyone got back it was straight to bed and no reports, not even a simple nod or shake of the head. But Jack couldn't blame the boys, and Feister for being so tired.

"You seen Spot Conlon, what'd he say?" Race asked as he fiddled with his cigar between his fingers.

"Yeah, we seen him," Jack replied in unamused tone.

"Him and about twenty of his gang," Davey added.

"And them Brooklyn boys is big," Les said while holding his hand over his head to show just how tall the Brooklyn boys were. Race let out a small laugh as he patted Les' shoulder as he asked, "So...they're with us?"

"If you look at it. If you look, an' see Brooklyn then they're with us," Davey replied.

'They's wanted proof that we's wasn't gonna fold at the first sign of trouble," Jack finished, before grumbling under his breath.

"Are we?" Finch asked.

"We are not!" Jack yelled. This whole strike thing had him on edge, especially since Brooklyn wasn't joining their strike until further notice. "There's us, there's Harlem," Jack replied as he gestured to Mush and Feister.

"Not so fast boss," Feister replied slowly. She then tried to think of a way to put it nicely, and by nicely, I mean she looked too Mush for help.

"Harlem wants ta know what Brooklyn's gonna do," Mush replied sheepishly with every word that was said. Jack took a deep breath then turned to Specs and asked, "What bout Queens?"

"Queens will be right here backing us up," Specs replied happily. The newsies all cheered since something was finally going right. "As soon as they get the nod from Brooklyn," he finished. Everyone sighed.

"I got the same fish eye in Midtown," Race reported, a little annoyed, angry, and sad.

"Say Oscar," Morris said as he and Oscar came up to unlock the gate. "Looks like we got bum information about a strike happening here today; not that I'm complaining, now that my scar bustin' arm could used the rest." All the newsies faces had a look that could kill as the Delanceys walked away. "Are we doing the right thing?" Les asked nervously.

"Sure we are." Davey replied.

"Hey, maybe we should put this off a few days," Race suggested.

"We can't just," Davey started. But he was at a loss for words. "Jack, say something," he said walking up to said boy. "Tell them if we give up now, they'll never listen to us ever again."

"Hey, we can't back down now," Jack said as he walked up to Race, Finch, Mush and Feister. "No matter who does or doesn't show. Like it or not this is when we take a stand."

"How bout we don't show up for work," Finch argued. "That'll send a message."

"They'll just replace us, they need ta see us stand our ground," Jack replied in a serious tone. "Davey, you tell 'em."

"Courage isn't erasing our fears, it's when we face them," Davey said. "Let's tell those with power safe in their tower, we will not obey. But, by the looks of the other newsies, it was clear they were all second guessing themselves. And, Davey was starting too as well.