chapter 1

grace's pov

"grace! can you grab those boxes please?" my dad shouts at me. we're now in dallas, we moved from los angeles, and i'm gonna miss it to say the least.

"i got it dad!" i grab the box and move it inside the house. after we finish moving all the boxes, we go back outside to see if we dropped anything. all of a sudden a little girl comes running up to us.

"hi! i'm reese! what's your name!" aw she's so cute. who i'm guessing is her mom comes running up behind her.

"i'm grace! how are you?" i bend down to meet her level.

"i'm so sorry, i cant get a hold of this fast one," the lady picks up reese.

"no don't worry! i love kids," i say to the mom. her expression changes from apologetic to happy.

"oh really?"

"yeah, i really do,"

"i actually need someone to babysit little reese here tonight, i'm going out with my husband and our sons are going out with their friends," she seems so worried. i'd love to watch reese.

"don't worry about it, i'd love to watch her tonight!"

"oh my, thank you so much! we're actually right next door, could you be there at around 7?" i check my phone to see it's only 1.

"yes, i'll definitely be there!"

"thank you so much! i'm myta by the way, myta herron!" i go in to shake her hand but she hugs me instead. ok cool. i get back inside and tell my dad all about it.

"hey dad, i'm going over next door to watch their kid at about 7!"

"are they paying you?"

"i don't know, but i don't really care, i need to make friends, no matter the age," i laugh.

"but i heard her say something about sons," he smirks.

"uh they're going out with their friends which is why they need a sitter," i say completely avoiding what he was insinuating.

"okay but i'm gonna walk over with you to meet them," he says sternly. we walk over to their house at about 6:55ish. myta opens up the door after we knock.

"hello grace! you must be grace's dad!" myta says with a lot of energy.

"that i am," he reaches out to shake her hand.

"well, thank you for allowing grace to help us out tonight!"

"of course!"

"would you guys like to come over for dinner tomorrow, 7 again?" i look at my dad with hopeful eyes. i really love myta and her energy.

"of course, we're going to need some new friends around here, thank you for inviting us!"

"you're welcome, alright grace come on in," i step in to their house and my dad leaves. i see two boys. one obviously older than the other.

"zach! ryan! it's 7 you have to go now! get in the car!" she yells at them clapping her hands.

"can you believe zach's 17 and still hasn't gotten his license?" she whispers to me in a joking manner. so that's how old the oldest one is.

"mom, you're not exactly quiet!" i'm guessing zach, yells.

"whoops?" she laughs. so the younger one is ryan. okay so there's reese, ryan, and zach, got it.

"so where will you be going for school?" myta turns to me.

"i'll be going to dallas high school for my junior year starting next monday!"

"oh! that's just wonderful, zach is a junior at dallas high too! maybe he can be your friend and show you around!" myta really is too kind for her own good. i hear zach scoff from the kitchen. ok rude.

"hey i'm ryan!" the younger boy comes up to me.

"hey ryan, i'm grace," i say to him.

"cool," he turns back around and goes to what i'm assuming is the garage.

"alright well they'll be waiting for me, have fun with reese!" she hugs me one last time and goes out the door.

"let's go play tea party!" reese screams and drags me upstairs to her room. somehow the tea party lasted the entire 3 hours i was needed there. 3 hours in zach came into reese's room.

"hey, my mom said you can go whenever i get here, so go i guess," i'm really starting to not like zach. he's a little rude. or a lot.

"hey who's this?" a girl comes up to stand beside him.

"just our babysitter," ok well he's not wrong but again, rude.

"no grace! please don't go! i want to tea party with you!" she squeezes my arm.

"i'll play with you reese!" the girl next to zach says.

"no i don't like you," reese frowns. i admit i laugh a little too hard.

"reese! that was mean, say sorry," zach says to reese.

"nope!" she says then shuts the door on zach and the girl.

"okay well then i'm leaving again! jasmine has a car!" zach shouts through the door. at first i think he's kidding until i see the car zoom out of the driveway. guess i have to stay here until someone gets home.

1am

it's 1am and no one is home yet, are you kidding me. reese is asleep but i'd feel bad leaving. it's now 1:30 and i'm hearing the garage open. i'm just sitting on the couch watching tv with a low volume.

"oh my gosh! grace you're still here?" myta comes running in.

"yeah," i yawn.

"zach never came home and i wasn't gonna leave reese alone," i say still smiling.

"honey i'm so sorry, you can stay here if it's too late to be going back home," i check my phone to remind myself how late it is.

"maybe i should," i let out an awkward laugh.

"i'll bring you down some clothes and you can sleep with reese, i'm sure she'd love it!" myta goes upstairs and brings me down a pair of shorts and a t shirt. i make sure to text my dad then i then go upstairs and tuck myself in next to reese. she slightly wakes up.

"your staying?" she rubs her eyes.

"yep! alright let's go to sleep!"