chapter 5

grace's pov

nothing exciting happened for the rest of the week, but today was friday, the day of zach's party. our families weren't supposed to be home until monday, so zach's gonna have the whole saturday to clean his house. well reese and ryan are staying with one of myta's friends until 2pm saturday when they're being dropped back off here, so zach doesn't have that much time. according to my dad, josh and myta decided to keep reese and ryan here, they just couldn't stay with zach because he had to go to school so i guess they thought it'd be easier to have reese and ryan stay with a friend.

the party supposedly starts at 9, so we're showing up at 10. i throw on my best casual outfits, which ended up being skinny ripped jeans, and a nice top and heels. i actually decide to put on makeup so i can show the other kids at school that i sometimes do try.

when we walk into the house that's blaring music, we're almost immediately handed drinks. alrighty then. i take a sip and cringe.

"emma, this tastes so bad!"

"you'll get used to it, drink up," i listen to her, and by the 5th sip, it's not so bad. emma drags me into the kitchen to grab another cup. so she's been here before. i feel a tap on my shoulder.

"hey what are you doing here?" oh it's zach.

"emma invited me to tag along,"

"you better not say anything about this party," he threatens.

"why would i?"

"touché," he says then walks away. is it just me or is he loosened up? wait i forgot there's alcohol at this party.

after my 6th cup of beer, i'm so dizzy and the room is spinning and i have a big headache, but i don't want to leave. i stumble over to emma.

"h- hey emma! where's the bathroom," i ask her slurring my words.

"we've been over this, it's upstairs," why is she not as disoriented? maybe she didn't drink as much.

i stumble my way up the stairs, bumping into some guy.

"s- sorry," i mutter.

"hey where are you going?" the random guy asks me.

"oh the bathroom," of course i'm still slurring and probably not making much sense.

"what were you gonna do?" what the?

"bathroom things?" i don't know what he's on about. maybe he makes sense and i'm too drunk to realize it.

"mind if i join you?"

"say what? no!" i weakly shove him. he starts walking towards me again, leaving me up against a wall.

"what did you say?"

"i said no!" he gets mad then grabs ahold of my wrist. i feel a bruise starting to form.

"why don't i take you into one of these rooms to get some rest?" why won't he leave me alone?

"no thanks, i'm gonna go find my friend," i try to yank away from his grip but it's too strong.

"come on, let's go," he keeps insisting.

"please! just let me go!" i feel myself on the verge of tears. he doesn't listen and continues to pull me.

"hey! she said no!" some other guy comes running up the stairs.

"and who are you? her boyfriend?" the guy holding my arm asks.

"i don't have a boyfriend!" i say in a very high pitched matter of fact voice.

"no i'm not, but you need to let go of her," the other guy says. i try to look at his face, but my drunkness is making it a puzzle.

"shut up herron," wait, zach's the one defending me? i must be really drunk right now.

"i said let go!" zach punches the guy. oh my god.

"fine! you aren't worth it anyways," the guy who had a grip on my wrist walks out the front door. i start to cry before i can even stop it.

"are you okay?" zach comes up to me.

"yeah i'm fine, you can go back to hating me now," i say to him a little too harshly. he did just get rid of the guy, i should be nicer. but zach listens and leaves. why do i feel bad?

i try and look up and down the halls again for a bathroom, i open a door but it's just a bedroom. maybe i'll go lie down for a minute.