• 3 •

• Amber •

Julian held up the eraser for me and Auggie to see, and I frowned once more. "They know what an eraser is." Charlotte groaned. "How am I supposed to know what they know? They don't say anything." Julian explained defensively. "You know what an eraser is, right?" She asked us.

I turned to look at Auggie. He wasn't paying attention, only looking at things on a nearby shelf. "Dude, you have to say something." Jack Will whispered to Auggie. "Yeah, I know what an eraser is." Auggie spoke quietly. "I-is your name Jack or...Jack Will?" I asked Jack Will. "You thought his name was Jack Will?" Julian giggled.

"Yeah. A lot of people call me by my first and last name. But it's just Jack. I don't know why. Got any other questions?" Jack answered. "Actually, I've got a question for Auggie." Julian told us. "What's the deal with your face?"

I couldn't help but let a soft whimper leave my lips. I didn't like it when people talked about my best friend that way. It hurt. "Dude!" Jack turned to look at me and Auggie then back at Julian. "I mean, were you in a car crash or something?" He continued, and I let another strangled noise escape. "Julian!" Charlotte yelled. "What?! Tushman said we could ask questions if we wanted to!" He shouted.

"Not rude questions! Besides, he was born like that Mr. Tushman said." Charlotte said defensively. "Yeah, I know. I just thought maybe he was, like, in a fire too." Another squeak came out of my mouth and this time Charlotte patted my back in a way that said 'Calm down.' "Hey, Julian? Shut up!" Jack told him.

"You shut up!"

"Why don't we all shut up?!"

Auggie was gripping my hand tightly. Not because he was scared, but because he seemed worried about me. "No, I wasn't in a fire." Auggie whispered. "And the word 'supposedly'." Auggie began. "What?" Julian inquired. "You said that science was 'supposably' really hard. Twice. The word 'supposedly'. With a D. Maybe my mom can homeschool you too."

I was shocked, and my mouth hung open. Auggie tugged me by the wrist to follow him out of the science room and back to mom.

We were back home and seated at the table for dinner. "Do you all want to tell us yet how you felt about the tour today?" Mom asked hopefully. "Mr. Tushman went out of his way to tell me how sweet those kids were and that Julian is apparently quite the dream." Mom explained. "Not really." I mumbled.

"Not a dream? Is he one of those kids that acts one way in front of grownups and another way in front of kids?" Mom asked. "Yeah." Auggie sighed. "Well, I know it's hard but you have to understand that he probably feels badly about himself and when someone acts small, you just have to be the bigger person, all right?" Mom smiled at me, and set plates down in front of us.

I smiled back. "Look at me guys." Dad said, whispering. "That kid sounds like a real jerk. If someone pushes, you push back. Don't be afraid of anyone." I furrowed my brows. "Why are we whispering?" I whispered back to Dad and Auggie. "Because I'm afraid of mom."

He turned around and noticed mom coming back, and he let his tone of voice get louder. "You just gotta be the bigger person and rise above it all. It's that easy, you know?" I nodded as everyone sat down at the table. "Auggie, Amber. I do believe that this is the best year for you to start school because everybody is going to be new. But if you really don't wanna go—"

"No, it's ok. I wanna go." Auggie cut Mom off and we all sent each other knowing glances as grin began to form on our lips. "You do?" Mom asked. "Mh-m." Auggie replied nonchalantly. "What changed your mind, Auggie?" Mom continued.

"Well, they have a really good science elective and...I need a better science teacher." Auggie smirked. "Oh..." I breathed out. "Oh, wow. There's that." Mom joked. "Are you gonna take that mom?" Via chuckled. "Can I get some back up here?"

Dad picked up Auggie's hands, forcing him to stand in his chair. We all began to giggle as we tickled Auggie near his stomach.

I don't care if school turns out to be bad, I'm just so excited!

hi. so, i know that these chapters are pretty short and that they kind of go part by part but i guess it's quantity over quality??? idk...

-maya🤧