• 10 •

• AMBER •

Summer and I stepped out of Jack and Auggie's science fair project with a smile.

"That was so cool!" I exclaimed. "Good job!"

I hugged Auggie before moving onto Jack. A flash of Jack sobbing in my arms came and went, just as I pulled away.

Jack smiled cheekily. "Glad you liked it!"

"It was really awesome! I can't believe you two did that," I marveled.

Jack gushed. "It was really Auggie. He's so smart."

I gave him a soft smile. "You're smart too."

"Haha. Very funny," he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes playfully and turned averted my eyes away. "Auggie has always loved science. I...I was never really one for that sort of stuff. More of a literature type girl."

Jack instantly nodded. "Yeah. I see ya. You're not so much a realist. More of an...idealist!"

Then that warm feeling returned. The feeling of knowing I finally had Jack Will back.

"Yeah! Exactly," I exclaimed.

"I'd better get back to this," he said, jabbing a thumb behind him to show Auggie running the project alone.

I nodded profoundly. "Yeah. See ya around!"

Later that day, I plopped down on my bed with a dopey grin plastered on my face.

"What?" Auggie teased.

"I don't know. Do you ever just get this feeling like...like your heart is beating for one person?"

Auggie smirked. "I knew you liked Jack Will!"

I sat up. "No! I just—"

"Amber and Jack sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

I crossed my arms and pouted. "Shush it!"

"...and that is why you should never bring a banana covered in lime juice and peanut butter into the shower with you while listening to 'Havana' by Camila Cabelo," I finished.

Jack nodded. "Hm. You'd never expect it."

I winked as we approached my locker. "I just need to grab my math binder and we're out of here."

Jack gave me a thumbs up. "Anyway, anymore wacky stories?"

I shook my head and unlocked my locker. When I opened it, a paper fell out. Furrowing my brows, I bent down and picked it up before opening it.

'GO BACK TO THE DUMPSTER, BROTHER KISSER' it read.

My hand flew to my mouth.

"What?" Jack asked, worry laced into his voice. "What is it?"

"Nothing," I snapped, ripping it into shreds and tossing it into the nearest trash can. "Nothing."

"What did it say?" Jack pressed. "I will go through that thrash can if I have to."

I sighed. "It said 'Go back to the dumpster, brother kisser'."

Jack eyes widened. "It doesn't matter. Let's go."

Now alone, I opened my locker again to see another note slip out.

It was a picture of me with the eyes crossed out. It read, 'NO FREAKS ALLOWED!'

I stared down at it when Mr. Browne snatched it from my hands. "What is this?"

"It's nothing," I whispered softly. "Absolutely Nothing."

"I'll be back, I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Auggie told us.

"On a school bus?" I grimaced. "Just go."

We were on the bus to the Nature Retreat: so Auggie shimmied past Jack and I to do his business.

Jack turned to me. "Amber?"

"Yeah?" I replied, staring out the window.

"I know your birthday is coming up...and so I got you something."

I whipped my head around to face Jack. "How did you even know my birthday?"

Jack's expression softened at my smile. "Lucky guess."

He reached down into his pocket and pulled out a bracelet. It was silver, with a little charm that read 'Christmas Squad' on it.

I smiled as he handed it to me.

Right when it hit my palm, I slipped it on and hugged Jack tightly.

"Thank you so much! I love it!"

Jack grinned. "I knew you'd love it."

"I'm not kidding," I explained. "I really do love it."

Just then Auggie stumbled back into the seat. "What are you two up to?"

"Nothing," I replied. "Just admiring an early birthday gift from Jack."

Auggie smirked. "Really? Can I see?"

I held out my arm for him to look at the bracelet. He turned my wrist over in his hand, making sure that he stared at every part of it. "That's cool! Where'd you find it Jack?"

"Had to order it online," he mumbled. "It took a while to find."

My eyes widened in worry. "You didn't spend that much money on it, did you? I'll pay you back, I promise. How much was it? I—I promise I'll pay you back."

Jack shook his head. "It wasn't that expensive." In a lower voice, he said, "Only $70."

"What?" I humphed. "What did you say?"

"Oh, nothing."

heres another chapter! I hope you guys are enjoying it!

-maya❤️