• 8 •

• Amber •

Halloween day, Auggie was the first one up, the first one changed, and the first one out of the house. Dad and I struggled to catch up, but we managed.

Once at school, Auggie didn't let down. He continued to be hyper and happy, which made me really excited. Today is gonna be a good day.

As we walked through the hallways, Auggie high-fived people. When we finally made to class, we stood in the doorway listening to a conversation going on.

"It really does look like him," Julian laughed, holding up a contorted mask. "This part, right?"

Amos nodded. "Yeah."

"I mean, he's always reminded me of, like, the shrunken head, ya know?" Julian said.

"Or an orc," Amos chuckled.

"His sister is kinda cute though," Julian added. "If I looked like him, I swear, I'd put a hood over my face."

An all to familiar voice sounded after that. "If I looked like him, I swear I'd kill myself."

"Why do you hang out with them so much, Jack?" Julian asked.

"I dunno. Tushman asked me to be their 'welcome buddy' and now they just...follow me around everywhere," Jack responded.

Julian exclaimed, "Well that must stink! That must stink."

Auggie turned, giving me a look that read 'sorry', before storming out of the class.

Later that day, Via stepped into our room dressed up in some weird looking costume.

"Come on, get ready. It's almost time for the Halloween Parade."

Auggie sniffed. "Your supposed to knock! Go away!"

"Mom says," Via began, "you won't say what happened." She turned and gave me a slight smile, before turning back to Auggie. "Did someone say something?"

"Someone always says something!"

"Well, tell me what happened," Via said.

"It's none of your business!" Auggie yelled.

"You took my day with Mom, so it is my business," Via snapped.

"I heard Jack Will talking about me behind my back. He said he'd kill himself if he looked like me!" Auggie explained.

"Jack Will? Isn't he the nice one?"

I sighed. "That's what we thought."

"There are no nice ones!" Auggie shouted. "I wish I'd never gone to school in the first place!"

Via contradicted, "But you were liking school. I know you were."

"I hate it, ok? I hate it!" Auggie screamed.

"Auggie, I'm sorry, but your not the only one who has bad days," Via frowned.

"Bad days? Do people avoid touching you? When a person accidentally touches you do they call it the plague?" Auggie screeched.

Via shook her head. "No."

"Jack Will was all I had! So just don't compare your bad days at school to mine, ok?"

"Hey," Via sympathized. "Did you notice that Miranda doesn't come around any more? You didn't. Shocker. Yeah, she went away to camp this summer and now she doesn't like me anymore."

"Why?" Auggie asked.

"Because, school sucks! And people change. So, if you wanna be a a normal kid, those are the rules, Auggie. So...let's got trick or treating. Ok? Because right now; you, me, and Amber are each other's best friends," Via encouraged.

"Really?" Auggie asked.

"Really," I chimed.

"Come on," Via said. "I'll let you have all my Halloween candy."

A grin broke out on Auggie's face.

Come Monday, Auggie and I entered into school and saw Jack standing at his locker: which happened to be near ours.

We approached silently and began grabbing our stuff when Jack spoke.

"Hey! You feeling better?"

When we didn't reply, Jack spoke again.

"Are you guys ok?"

"Fine," I hissed.

"Sure? Because you're acting really weird," Jack said.

Auggie snapped, "We're ok, Jack, ok?"

Auggie closed his locker, waited for me, then began to talk to me about our science homework as we left Jack standing alone.

Jack approached us at lunch, but all Auggie and I did was turn away.

"Come on, what's wrong?"

"Go away," Auggie demanded.

"Amber—"

I cut Jack off with a snarl. "No. Listen to Auggie. Go. Away."

Julian called out, "Oh, hey Jack! Come sit with us."

Jack sent me a sad glance before heading over to Julian's table.

Next thing I know, Summer was setting her lunch down next to Auggie before sitting next to him.

"Hi. I'm Summer."

"I know," Auggie stated. "We're in the same homeroom. You don't have to do this."

"Do what?" Summer asked.

"He means you don't have to be our friend," I explained. "We know Tushman talked to you."

Summer shook her head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Auggie sighed. "I know Tushman talked to some kids before school started and told them they had to be friends with me."

"He didn't talk to me," Summer confessed.

"Yeah, he did," Auggie said.

"No, he didn't."

"Yeah, he did."

"No, he didn't I swear on my life!" Summer yelled.

"Ok, ok," Auggie jeered. "You don't have to get mad."

"I don't like being accused of things, ok?" She exclaimed.

"Ok," I beamed. "We're sorry."

"You should be," Summer sassed.

"He really didn't talk to you?"

"Auggie!"

Auggie frowned. "Ok—I just...why are you sitting here then?"

"Because I want some nice friends for a change," she told us.

"Us too," I said.

"Cool beans." Summer held out both her hands: One to me and one to Auggie.

"But you'll get the plague," Auggie nagged.

"Good," Summer said, shaking Auggie and my hand. "So, What happened with Jack Will?"

"Promise not to tell?"

She nodded.

thank you so much for waiting! you all are extremely patient, and you deserve all of my love and more! i finally brought this chapter, just for you all! i hope you enjoy!

-maya❤️