• 6 •

• Amber •

We now sat at the dinner table, Auggie silent and wearing his astronaut helmet. "I, for one, had a great day." Dad said, attempting to lighten the mood. Mom stared at him annoyed, raising her eyebrows. Dad shrugged and gave her a knowing look back.

"Just trying to lighten the mood. Right Daisy?" He sighed, turning to Daisy and holding a piece of meat up and down to show her saying yes. "Right. Good girl." Mom looked down and poked at her salad. "Well I went to Kinko's today to see if they could get my thesis off this." She explained, pulling out a weird looking flat folder.

"You're gonna finish your dissertation?" Dad sounded surprised, so it must have been important. "What is that?" I asked. "It's a floppy disk." Mom replied. "A What?" Via repeated. "Come on! A floppy...these kids today!" Dad exclaimed. "It's basically an iPhone. You know it doesn't play music and you can't call but..."

"They couldn't get the file." Mom said, cutting dad off. "That's ok. You'll find a place." Dad responded. "Well, I think it's great mom." Via grinned. "Maybe. Thank you." She smiled. Mom and Dad both turned form me to Auggie. "So, Auggie, Amber," Mom pulled up the face part of Auggie's helmet, tilting it up so she could see his face. "Hi. How was your first day of school?"

Auggie toyed around with his food till dad stopped it with his fork. "Earth to Auggie. We asked you a question. Come on, how was your day?" He asked. "Good." Auggie lied. Dad frowned and looked down. "Good how? Good like it was good?" He began. "Or good like it was bad and you just want to tell us?" Mom finished.

"It was good, ok? I just don't know what you want me to say! It was good!" He yelled. "Ok, ok hey! If you're mad at mom about going to school it was my idea too." Dad said. "Why can't I just say good like anybody else?!" He screamed, flipping down the face part of his helmet and storming off to his room.

Mom and dad left the table to follow Auggie, and Via and I just sat in silence.

"How was your day?" I asked her, looking up from my food. "Good. It was boring." She answered. "Yours?" She asked. "It was ok. Boring as well." I said.

By the time I got into my room for bed, Auggie and mom were asleep together, so I just quickly changed, waved goodnight to Via, and went to sleep.

Picture Day.

I was dressed up a bit more formal, wearing a light pink skirt, silver converse, and a white tee with my hair down. The photographer attempted to get everyone situated, but everyone was too busy chattering away to listen. "Hey! Can you guys—ugh—"

I was standing behind Auggie and in front of Jack Will, right next to Mr. Browne. The photographer finally got everyone to stick together, and he skimmed to rows to make sure everyone was in place when he came up to Auggie. "Hey. What's your name?" He asked Auggie.

"Auggie...nice boots." Mr. Browne replied. Auggie smiled, and the guy thanked Mr. Browne before stepping back to take the picture. "Ok! Everybody! Here we go! We're skootching, and say cheese!" The class erupted in cheese, and I grinned for the picture.

School became...well, I got used to it. No one would talk to Auggie or me, except for the occasional hello from Charlotte or friendly homework reminder from Summer. Other than that, we were alone. All. Alone. But I didn't mind. School was interesting and I was doing good on each class.

Let's just hope things stay this way.

"In order for any of us to see, we need light." Ms. Petosa explained, placing a card saying 'now' in front of a glass cylinder. "So, right now, light is bouncing off this card, traveling through the air, through the glass, and to your eye. But, what if we added water?"

Ms. Petosa added some water to the cylinder and when it settled, the card saying 'now' now read 'won'. Everyone let out soft, "Woah!"'s. "Woah indeed!" Ms. Petosa grinned. "Any time light passes from one material or medium to another, it bends. This bending of light is also know as...?"

Auggie raised his hand and Ms. Petosa pointed to him. "Refraction." He grinned. "Very good, Auggie. Jack you ok?" She asked. I turned around in my seat to see Jack with a confused expression. "Yeah, yeah. Refraction." He replied. "Good." Ms. Petosa smirked. "Clear your desks. Pop quiz!" Everyone groaned and shoved their things away.

I'm gonna fail this quiz.

Halfway through the quiz, I turned around to see Auggie pushing his quiz closer to Jack's so he could...copy?

Wow. Auggie's letting Jack Will copy off him.

another update!

i really wanna finish this story, so i might be updating a lot.

-maya🤧