• 7 •

• Amber •

Auggie and I sat at our lunch table, eating in silence. "Hey."

The familiar voice startled me, and I turned up to see Jack, a lunch tray in his hands. "Hey." I smiled. "Thanks for your help today." He said to Auggie. "No problem." Auggie replied. "And, don't worry. I got a few wrong so Ms. Petosa wouldn't know." Jack set down his lunch tray next to me.

"I'm not worried. The worst they can do is kick me out." Auggie said. We all led out a soft laugh, and Jack sat down next to me. "Not loving school either, huh?" Jack asked. "Oh, no! It's great." I lied sarcastically. Jack chuckled. "I wanted to go to Wayne Middle. The one with the great sports teams."

"Then why'd you come here?" I asked. "They gave me the scholarship." Jack frowned. "Well, if you ever need help with Science or English, you can come to our house after school. You know, if you want." Auggie offered. "Great. Thanks!" Jack exclaimed. Jack noticed that Auggie wasn't eating, and he turned to me with a confused expression.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "I just don't like eating in front of people." Auggie explained. "What do you mean? You eat in front of Amber all the time." He said. "She's my sister. It's a long story, but, when I eat, I think I chew like some prehistoric swamp turtle."

Jack grinned. "No joke! Me too!" He went facefirst into his sandwich, taking a huge bite without using his hands and looking at me. Auggie and I both burst out in a fit of giggles, and I shook my head. "Wrong! It's like this!" I exclaimed, throwing up a grape into the air before catching it in my mouth and chewing it with my mouth open.

"Ew! That's gross!" Jack giggled. "Now theirs tuna on your face, and grape in your teeth." Auggie grinned. "Yeah! Tuna Man and Grape Girl, to the rescue!" Auggie shook his head. "No, no, no. Let me show you how it's done." Auggie mimicked chomping down on his sandwich, and I continued to laugh uncontrollably.

"I'm going as Boba Fett this year." Auggie explained. "I like Halloween, but Christmas is still the best holiday." Jack told us. "Right?! I keep trying to get Auggie to see that!" I shouted. Jack smiled. "No way. Halloween is the best."

"A pillowcase of Candy versus two weeks off school! You're nuts. Think more like your sister." Jack said. We'd finally reached mom, and I gave her a quick hug. "Hey, Mom. Is it ok if Jack comes over?" I asked. Mom smiled a lot before nodding. "Yes! Thanks Mrs. P!" Jack thanked mom and put his arm around my shoulder.

"Well, Auggie, if you change your mind, just know that you can join the Christmas squad anytime you like." Jack beamed. "Christmas squad?" I asked. Jack smirked. "Of course."

And from then on, Jack was our best friend. He learned us easily, and he seemed to know everything about me. It was amazing.

But now, it's the night before Halloween and I began setting out my cheerleader costume on the bed. "Amber!" Auggie screeched. "Daisy threw up on my Boba Fett costume!" I groaned. "Too bad! Wear your ghost face costume from last year!" I yelled back.

"But I told Jack I was going to come as Boba Fett!" He exclaimed, storming into the room and holding up his Boba Fett costume. And sure enough, Daisy's puke was scattered all over it. "That doesn't matter. Jack won't mind a small costume change." I told him. Auggie frowned and fell down on his bed.

"Whatever. Why do you even want to go as a stupid cheerleader anyway? To feel like your on the team?" Auggie asked. "I don't know. I've just been wanting to be a cheerleader for a few years now. Plus, I'm done doing Disney themed costumes for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long time."

Auggie's frown turned into a smirk. "Are you dressing up as a cheerleader to impress Jack?" He asked slyly. My face turned beet red as I shook my head. "No way! I am not going to do something just to impress Jack Freaking Will. He's a kid, I'm a kid, we're all kids, Auggie."

Auggie continued to smirk. "Whatever you say Amber...Will." He giggled. I rolled my eyes. "Come here! I'm going to kill you!"

another update
BE HAPPY

-maya🤧