Explanation

Soo...uhm...the story...where should I start?

Ah, okay!

Izaya is suffering under dementophobia which is also known as the fear of going insane, and schizophrenia.

Starting with dementophobia. The sentence "Dementophobia is the fear of going insane." should already be enough to get a clear picture of what that fear is. Dementophobia is a pretty rare disease. Depending on the person and their experiences which caused their dementophobia, the attack is weaker or stronger. In Izaya's case his Dementophobia was triggered of a real fear of going insane. He didn't want to kill people which was the trigger.

Izaya's schizophrenia can be seen because how he found himself in a black world with a voice filling his head in the chapter "Kidnapped". Schizophrenia is a very common disease. It often develops in adolescence or early adulthood and affects approximately 24 million people worldwide. So 1% of the U.S. population means that over 3 million men and women suffer under schizophrenia. The disease is a serious mental disorder. It is characterized by abnormal behavior, strange speech and a decreased ability to understand reality. Schizophrenia can also characterize by having like two sides. The affected person doesn't actually remember to have changed personalities.

In Izaya's case he does remember everything and what he did what leads him to have his dementophobic attack. He doesn't want to become insane and start to kill people. He was very good in hiding these feelings. That's why Shizuo didn't realize Izaya was having real struggles. And because no one paid attention to that Izaya couldn't take it anymore and killed himself. He thought the people would be more safe without him around. He was mostly concerned about Shizuo. He didn't want to kill him because he loved him. So he took his own life.

I didn't really establish anything about Shizuo's disease. I have the feeling there is no real term for his hallucinating. If you know a term for what he could have please write them in the comments ^-^.

So Shizuo had suffered under such a big shock from Izaya's death that he didn't really comprehend the momentary state of things. He didn't believe Izaya was dead so he started to imagine him just being at home and waiting for him every day.

And by the way: Tom was just a serial killer who's target was Izaya's family.

I know this fanfic is kinda sad and there're many diseases in here but I hope you understood it even without this help.  And I also hope that this help really was a help. If there is anything I got wrong please correct me (^ω^)

~Your Nori <3