Chapter 2

Bold text in Connor's POV is the system updates that he gets about missions, software instability, and people's opinion of him.

It was raining by the time we got there. I pulled up and saw the flashing blue and red lights of police cars. A large crowd of people stood in front of the house. Even the news had shown up to find out what happened.

I shut off the car and Dad turned to look at Connor, "You wait here. We won't be long."

"Whatever you say, Lieutenant," Connor stated.

Dad rolled his eyes as he got out of the car, "Fuckin' A, whatever I say."

Dad and I walked up to the house. Almost immediately we were approached by the news trying to ask us questions. Dad refused to answer them and I remained silent walking next to him. We walked through the holographic police tape waiting to be debriefed.

"Androids are not permitted beyond this point," I heard one of the DPD's androids say.

Dad and I looked back to see Connor trying to enter the crime scene. "It's with me," Dad told the android.

After Connor caught up to us Dad started complaining, "What part of 'stay in the car' didn't you understand?"

"Your order contradicted my instructions, Lieutenant," Connor replied calmly.

"You don't talk, you don't touch anything and you stay outta the way, got it?"

Dad walked closer to the house as I stayed behind with Connor for a moment. I patted him on the arm, "Don't feel too bad, he's usually this grumpy."

Connor POV

I hadn't been expecting the Detective to touch me. But she patted me on the arm. I suddenly had an odd sensation that I couldn't describe.

(y/n): neutral^

Software instability^

(y/n) POV

Connor's LED flashed yellow for a second as he processed, "Understood."

"Evening Hank, (y/n). We were starting to think you weren't gonna show."

"Yeah, that was the plan. Until these assholes found me," Dad said gesturing to Connor and I. I stuck my tongue out at him childishly.

"So... You two got yourselves an android, huh?"

"Very funny. Why don't you tell us what happened?"

"We had a call around eight from the landlord. The tenant hasn't paid his rent for a few months, so he thought he'd drop by, see what was going on...That's when he found the body..."

We walked in on a nightmarish sight. The victim was already decaying. The words 'I AM ALIVE' were written in blood on the wall above him. Fellow officers and the forensics team were scattered throughout the house, placing evidence markers and investigating. But the worst thing was the smell.

Clearly, the man had been here for a long time before being discovered. I covered my wrinkled nose with my sleeve. "Jesus, that smell," Dad complained, voicing my thoughts.

"Was even worse before we opened the windows... The victim's name's Carlos Ortiz. He has a record for theft and aggravated assault... According to the neighbors, he was kind of a loner... Stayed inside most of the time, they hardly ever saw him."

I walked away to examine the evidence but stayed close enough to hear the rest of our debriefing. "I'd say he's been there for a good three weeks. We'll know more once the coroner gets here..."

I tuned them out to focus on the investigation. I found a knife covered in blood, probably the murder weapon. I inspected it but didn't find traces of fingerprints, android involvement. I stood and walked over to the wall near the corpse.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Connor bend down to do his own inspection of the knife. He swiped his fingers across it collecting blood on them. Then he did something that caught me off guard. He stuck his fingers in his mouth and licked the blood.

Gross, why would you put that in your mouth? ...There is a slight possibility that I may have forgotten he was an android. Something like that wouldn't have bothered him, he would do what was necessary to get his job done.

"Err, Jesus! What the hell are you doing?" Dad asked with blatant disgust.

"I'm analyzing the blood," Connor explained calmly, "I can check samples in real time. I'm sorry, I should have warned you..."

"Okay, just... don't... put any more evidence in your mouth, got it?"

Connor gave a slight nod, "Got it."

Dad walked away grumbling, "Fucking hell, I can't believe this shit..."

I nudged the android and gave him a playful wink, "Don't mind him, just do what gets your job done, 'kay?"

Connor POV

The Detective nudged me and winked. Something felt strange about the action. I felt my regulator pump stop for a split second. I ran a diagnostics test on myself to check for any abnormalities.

No Malfunction Detected

Nothing was wrong with my Biocomponants. Why had my regulator pump stopped, even if had only been for a split second?

(y/n): warm

Software instability^

(y/n) POV

After about ten minutes of investigation Connor had finally come up with a viable conclusion, "Lieutenant, I think I figured out what happened."

"Oh yeah?" Dad asked skeptically, "Shoot, I'm all ears."

"It all started in the kitchen," with the obvious signs of a struggle, Connor's conclusion wasn't unrealistic, "I think the victim attacked the android with the bat. The android stabbed the victim."

"The android tried to defend itself?" I asked, "Then what happened?"

"The victim fled to the living room."

"And he tried to get away from the android... Alright, that makes sense..." Dad said.

"The android murdered the victim with the knife."

"Okay, your theory's not totally ridiculous..." Dad admitted, "but it doesn't tell us where the android went."

Connor thought for a second, "It was damaged by the bat... and lost some Thirium..."

"Lost some what?"

"Thirium, it's the stuff that runs android Biocomponants. Humans call it 'Blue Blood'," I informed Dad.

"It evaporates after a few hours and becomes invisible to the naked eye."

"Oh, but I bet you can still see it, can't you?" Dad asked catching on.

"Correct," Connor stated before looking around for what we couldn't see. A few minutes later he grabbed a chair from the kitchen.

"Hey! Hey! What are you doin' with that chair?"

"I'm going to check something," Connor said matter-of-factly. He climbed up and was gone for a while.

Dad eventually got impatient, "Connor, what the fuck is going on up there?"

"It's here, Lieutenant!" Connor shouted.

"Holy shit! Chris, Ben, (y/n), get your asses in here now."