Chapter 9

"I've had enough with androids for one day," Dad declared when we got back to the station, "I don't care what you do with him but get this fucker outta my sight."

I sighed as my father rushed off to make his report to Fowler. It was starting to get late anyway. "Where do you stay overnight?" I asked Connor.

"I usually remain at the station with the other androids," he replied indicating the androids lined up against the wall.

I shook my head in disapproval, "Uh-uh, you are not staying here. You're coming with me."

Connor looked confused., "It's alright Detective, I'm an android-"

I cut him off. I was not going to allow more of that anti android talk come out of his mouth, "I will make that an order if I have to."

His LED turned yellow as he analyzed his conflicting orders. After a moment he gave up and said, "Alright, Detective."

I opened the front door and walked through the entry way. Connor walked inside and I shut the door behind him. My Saint Bernard puppy ran up and greeted us happily.

(A/N: Sorry you didn't get to pick your dog's breed [or name] but there's a reason for it.)

"Heya, buddy!" I bent down to pet him. After he was done with me he went over and curiously sniffed at Connor.

"Hello," Connor said cautiously and held out his hand to the dog, "I like dogs."

The dog licked his hand signifying that he liked the android. "What's his name?" Connor asked petting him.

"Judo, I decided to go with the theme of Dad's dog. He's actually one of Sumo's sons." Connor looked at me waiting for me to explain. "Sumo had an... incident with the neighbor's dog so I decided to take in one of the puppies."

The dog quickly decided he was bored and wandered off. Connor looked disappointed, well for an android. After today's extensive exercise I need a shower. "I'm going to shower," I told my guest, "Feel free to... uh, read a book, or watch TV or whatever. Make yourself at home."

He nodded, "Alright, Detective."

"Connor, you saved my life, I think you can call me (y/n)."

Connor POV

I wasn't sure about addressing her so casually, "Certainly, (y/n)." It felt... odd to use her name but part of me enjoyed it?

(y/n): friend^

She gave me an approving smile which caused my regulator pump to speed up. Why does she have this affect on me? What is it about her that makes these things happen? Is this just a malfunction? I did a quick diagnostic scan of myself.

No Malfunction Detected

She walked to her room together clothes and then into the bathroom. I found my gaze following her until she disappeared from sight. Yet another strange reaction she causes.

I took this opportunity to learn more about (y/n). I wondered over to the bookshelf. She had an interesting collection of books, though that wasn't what I'd been searching for. I spotted some photographs on one of the shelves. One was a picture of her with Lieutenant Anderson. They looked happy. Admittedly, it was a bit strange to see Lieutenant Anderson smile.

Another photograph was of a younger (y/n) with a little boy. (y/n) seemed to be in her early twenties while the boy looked about five. I performed a quick facial recognition scan.

Detective (y/n) Anderson born (dd/mm/2014)
Deceased Cole Anderson born 23/9/2029 (Sep. 23, 2029) died 11/20/2035 (Oct. 11, 2035)

(A/N: This makes you roughly 24 during the story and 21 at the time of Cole's death.)

The last photograph is what caught my attention. (y/n) stood next to a man. To my understanding of human emotions, both looked very happy. I performed another facial recognition scan.

(e/n) (l/n) born (dd/mm/2012)

(e/n) - ex's name
(l/n) - last name

Something made me distrust the man. What I couldn't understand is why. I couldn't find a criminal record or any apparent reason to distrust him. I turned away from the bookshelf.

She had told me I could watch television. Maybe that would give me a better understanding of human culture. I sat down on the couch and turned it on.

(y/n) POV

That's much better. When I walked out of the bathroom, Connor was sitting on the couch watching TV. Judo sat on his lap and he absentmindedly ran his fingers through the dog's fur. He was so fixated on the screen that he didn't notice when I approached him. He only noticed me when I sat down next to him.

"What are you watching?" I asked. A rhetorical question, of course, I could see what he was watching. It was a rerun of an old cartoon called SpongeBob. I always liked that show growing up. My favorite character was Mr. Krabs because he reminded me of my father.

"According to my research, it's an old cartoon from the late 1990's and aired on television until the year 2019. It's called SpongeBob SquarePants," Connor reported. (A/N: Sorry if you didn't already know but SpongeBob is supposed to be canceled some time this year. I had to Google that.) Edit Feb. 11 2020: Google is a liar.

His response made me laugh a little. I hadn't been expecting him to take my question so literally. I should've known that was the kind of response I'd get from an android. It was kind of cute coming from Connor.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"It's nothing, Connie. It's just, I wasn't expecting you to answer because I can see what you're watching."

Connor looked a little surprised, "Why did you refer to me as Connie?"

"It's just a nickname. I can call you something else if you'd rather."

He gave a friendly smile, "You may call me whatever you like, (y/n)."

I had a suspicion that he liked it. He's probably never had anyone show him kindness before.

He looked like he'd remembered something, "I noticed some photographs on your bookshelf. There is a photograph of you with a man. If you don't mind my asking, who is that?"

Honestly, I'd forgotten that picture was still there, "Oh, that's my ex (e/n). We broke up about a year ago."

"You don't seem very upset," Connor noted.

I shrugged, "It wasn't anything messy. We just no longer loved each other and decided to end it. I looked good in the picture so I kept it."

Connor's LED turned yellow and he blinked rapidly. He turned to me once his LED returned to its normal blue, "I've just received a homicide report from Captain Fowler. It seems there was an android involved. We should go find Lieutenant Anderson."