Chapter 4

The next morning I was sitting at my desk going over reports when Connor approached. "Good morning, Detective," he greeted.

"Morning, Connor," I replied.

"Do you know what time the Lieutenant usually gets here?" he asked.

"Depends on where he was the night before. We'll be lucky if he shows up before noon."

I went back to the new report on my screen. Out of my peripheral vision, I saw Connor snooping around Dad's desk. I knew he must be looking for things to try and get on Dad's good side so I didn't bother him. Dad can be a hard man to please sometimes.

I scanned over my report. An android belonging to Carl Manfred was supposedly had an altercation with Leo Manfred and was destroyed by officers. Oh no, Markus. Poor Carl, he loved Markus like a second son. I've made quite a few arrests on Leo for Red Ice usage, though he always manages to get out with bail. Over the multiple visits to the Manfred house, I got to know Markus and Carl. I was considered a friend as Carl and I share the belief that androids deserve better treatment.

Feeling sad, I moved onto the next report. I went to take a sip of my coffee to find it was empty. I stood up to refill it. Connor who had just sat down after conducting his search of my father, stood back up, "I can get that for you, Detective," Connor volunteered, trying to be helpful and probably to get on better terms with me.

"That's okay, Connor, I can get it myself. But you can come with me if you want."

Connor seemed to weigh his options for a moment. Decided it would be beneficial to learn more about his partner he agreed. He followed me to the coffee station. Unfortunately, the department's favorite douche bag was there.

"Well, look at that. It seems Hank and (y/n) have a new partner!" Gavin called trying to goad Connor, "Fucking plastic detective! Hey! So you his drinking buddy? You bring him home when he's too drunk to find his car? Ha, he stinks of booze."

My eye twitched but I managed to stay calm. Connor also ignored him. Gavin didn't like that and approached us. He looked Connor up and down, sizing him up, "Never seen an android like you before. What model are you?"

"Wow, it's written right on his jacket. Or can't you read?" I sassed. He'd already pissed me off with the comments about my father.

"You better fucking watch what you say to me," Gavin countered.

"Or what? You'll tell on me?"

"RK800," Connor answered momentarily breaking the tension, "I'm a prototype."

"A prototype? Android detective... So machines are gonna... replace us all... is that it? Hey, bring me coffee dipshit. Get a move on!"

"I'm sorry, but I only take orders from Lieutenant Anderson and his partner," Connor returned, mild sass in his tone. I was a bit impressed.

"Oh... oh," Gavin commented before punching Connor in the stomach making the android double over.

"When a human gives you an order you obey, got it?"

I knelt down beside Connor and tried to help him up. I glared at Gavin, "Well, Reed, I think a cactus is looking for you. Because it's missing a huge prick."

He ignored me and spoke to Connor, "Stay outta my way. Next time you won't get off so easy."

Gavin walked away leaving Connor and I alone. "Are you okay?" I asked the android.

"Of course," Connor responded, "I am an android, androids don't feel pain."

Connor POV

The Detective helped me stand. After Detective Reed walked away she asked if I was alright. "Of course," I replied, "I am an android, androids don't feel pain."

She gave a stern look, "You still didn't deserve that."

"I am replaceable, Detective," I stated.

"No you're not, Connor. Every android has experienced something different than every other android, even if they are the same model."

"I am merely a machine," I told her.

"Connor, you are not just a machine. You may not be human but you are a person. Androids are capable of complex thought. Humans are barely capable of that."

She smiled, "Come on, I still haven't gotten my coffee yet."

For an unknown reason her smile made my pump regulator speed up slightly. I ran a diagnostics test on myself.

No Malfunction Detected

(y/n): warm^

Software Instability^