Chapter 6

We arrived in front of a convenience store. Dad and I got out to talk to some of the officers around. "We've got officers sweeping the neighborhood, in case anybody saw anything," an officer reported. I was scanning for anything suspicious so I had my back turned to him.

"Okay. Well let me know if they turn anything up," Dad said.

"What are you gonna do with that?" I heard the officer ask.

"I have no idea..." Dad answered, "(y/n) seems to like him though."

I knew they must be talking about Connor. I rolled my eyes at the statement. I hadn't given him any special treatment I was just nice to androids, I acted like this with Markus. Though admittedly, Connor was very attractive and his personality was quite adorable.

"It took the first bus that came along... and stayed at the end of the line," Connor noted. I turned around to face my partners.

"Its decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear."

I frowned, "Androids don't feel fear."

"Deviants do," Connor pointed out, "They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions."

"Ah, well that still doesn't tell us where it went," Dad complained.

"It didn't have a plan, and it had no where to go. Maybe it didn't go far..." Connor suggested. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement in the abandoned lot across the street. The gate on chain link fence opened, revealing the deviant in question. Speak of the devil and he will come.

The AX400 looked different than she had in the report. She had shorter blonde hair and wore human clothes. She also didn't have an android's signature LED in her right temple, making her look like an ordinary person. A YK500 child model android held her hand. She also lacked an LED.

If I hadn't done extensive personal research on androids I wouldn't have suspected anything out of the ordinary. However, being both a cop and an expert on androids made me recognize them as our suspects immediately. My respect for androids and empathy for deviants made me take pity on them. I decided not to bring it up.

On second thought, I'm going to try to help them in any way I can. I mumbled an excuse to my companions, something about checking in with officers down the road to see if they spotted anything. I walked down the street and out of sight of my partners and waited for the two deviants to walk past.

They eventually walked past me but there were too many fellow cops nearby to try talking to them so I followed them. After we were in an area with no officers around I ordered them to stop. The adult android stiffened and looked like she was considering running.

"Wait!" I called out, "I"m not going to hurt you."

She hesitated long enough for me to catch up to them. "I want to help," I told them. Surprise at my words caused them to turn around.

"I know you're deviant but I'm not going to hurt you. I knew something about that report was absolute bull...crap," I censored myself because the YK500 was still technically a little girl, "I want to help."

"Why would you help us?" the "older" android asked.

"I believe androids deserve their own lives. I want to see androids get basic rights. Android treatment is not fair," I told her. I rummaged in my pocket for my wallet. I pulled out a twenty dollar bill and offered it to the android, "I... I know it's not much but... here. It should get you two a train ticket."

She looked grateful, "Thank you. I-I don't know how I can repay you."

I shook my head, "Don't worry about it. Just stay out of trouble."

"Thank you," the android repeated They turned back around and headed for the train station.

"By the way, what are your names?" I asked.

They stopped one last time and the AX400 answered before continuing on to their destination, "Kara, and Alice."

I had a smile on my face as I headed back to where my father and Connor stood waiting for me. "What did they say?" Connor asked.

"They didn't see anything," I lied. Well technically I didn't lie, none of the other officers had seen Kara and Alice but it wasn't exactly the truth.

"Well it won't get far. We'll find it sooner or later. Let's go," Dad said. Oh if you only knew that your own daughter just helped two fugitives.