Chapter 2: Tardy

Chase paused in the middle of his lecture when he noticed that only four recruits were present, "where is Hotshot?"

Whirl spoke up, "he wasn't in his quarters when we-"

Suddenly the door slid open, Hotshot bursted in out of breath from running, "sorry I'm late professor!"

"Class started approximately four minutes and thirty seven seconds ago. I hope you have a good excuse for your tardiness, young mech", Chase said sternly.

"I uh... must've forgotten to set my alarm. It won't happen again sir... I promise", Hotshot said sheepishly.

"Thank you", Chase said, "please take a seat, we have much to cover in our lecture."

As Chase resumed his lecture, Hotshot noticed that the only open seat was right next to Medix. He slowly sat down, spark picking up speed when Medix glanced at him.

After a minute, Medix whispered softly to him, "did you not recharge at all last night?"

"I couldn't", Hotshot admitted, "my processor was aching."

"Were you still stuck on that thing about birds?", Medix whispered, "do you require more information?"

Hoist elbowed Medix before Hotshot could answer, grabbing both of their attention, "Chase just asked you a question Medix."

"Oh!", Medix blushed in embarrassment, "my apologies Professor Chase... Could you repeat the question?"

"Would you care to share with the rest of us about what you and Hotshot were discussing?", Chase questioned.

Medix didn't hesitate, "I was concerned about the current state of Hotshot. He looks exhausted and as this team's medic, I feel that it is my responsibility to make sure that everyone is in good health."

Hotshot's spark skipped a beat

He's concerned about me.

Chase looked at Hotshot and internally confirmed his exhausted state, "understood. Thank you for sharing Medix. Hotshot, please get proper recharge tonight. Rescuers must be well rested and prepared for any type of emergency."

"Got it", Hotshot answered, relieved to have skated by another lecture.

"Now if we can continue-", Chase went back to his own lecture.

Hotshot passed a note to Medix when Chase turned away.

'Sorry for getting you in trouble', Medix read on the note. He immediately hid the note when Chase turned around to ask more questions. Medix quickly wrote down his response when Chase turned around again.

Hotshot read the note when Medix gave it back, 'how did you find a pen and some paper this size??'

Hotshot bursted out laughing.

Chase immediately gave him detention for after class.