Chapter 6: Overwhelmed

Medix bursted through the entrance to Hero Hall, "I'm here!!"

"You're late", Boulder responded, getting concerned as he took in the state of the young medic, "did you recharge at all last night? You look exhausted."

Medix breathed hard, quickly coming up with an excuse, "I had to run here."

"Hmm... alright. Shall I continue with today's plans?", Boulder asked. "Yes sir!", responded the recruits.

As Boulder resumed explaining today's plans, Medix had to stop himself from asking Hotshot, the bot who was closest to him, about what he missed.

He feared he might make a fool of himself and stutter.

Hotshot looked over at Medix and saw that he was acting really nervous, "hey are you okay Medix?"

Medix's spark froze as he blushed deeply, noticing that that only made Hotshot more concerned.

"I-I'm f-fine...", Medix eventually stuttered.

Hotshot wasn't convinced, "are you sure? You seem really nervous about something."

"I-I assure y-you... I-I'm f-fine", Medix composed himself enough to speak normally, "um... what did I miss..?"

"Oh!", Hotshot began, "we're being tested on our abilities and demonstrating our skills!"

"Wait that was today?!?", Medix exclaimed.

Their attention was immediately brought to Boulder when he cleared his throat, "Medix? Are you ready for your test?"

Medix was shocked, "you want me to go first??"

"Yes", Boulder responded.

Medix certainly wasn't ready. His nervousness skyrocketed on the spot.

It definitely didn't help when Hotshot placed a servo on his shoulder.

"You've got this Medix! I believe in you. -I mean we believe in you!", Hotshot smiled a goofy smile with a slight blush.

Medix instantly caught the blush and the stutter.

He couldn't help but blush more.

"T-Thanks Hotshot."

Boulder immediately set up the simulation once Medix stepped out onto the floor. Before him was a simulation of a wrong-way collision.

And it was not a pretty sight.

Boulder spoke up, "here's the situation: this is the result of a wrong-way collision. The drivers of both vehicles are critically injured. Your task is to get the drivers safely out of their vehicles, assess their injuries, and get them into the ambulance. However, you must be quick. One of the drivers has lost a lot of blood and continues to lose more by the minute. Also, one of the cars has a small fire under the hood. Good luck. Your time starts now."

With a press of a button, the simulation flared to life.

Medix really hoped this was a nightmare.
After a slight reality check, he wanted to scream.

"Come on Medix!", Wedge yelled.
"You can do it!!", Whirl cheered.
"You've got this!", Hoist added.
"We believe in you!", Hotshot repeated.

As much as Medix appreciates his team's support, their cheers along with the sounds of the sirens and the endless racing of his processor was just too much for him.

He broke down crying.

Boulder immediately ended the simulation. Medix fell to his knees, sobbing into his servos. His team instantly sprinted over to him, all of them constantly asking him if he was okay.

That only made Medix sob more. Boulder was quick to act as he approached, "Recruits, step away. Let me talk to him."

The recruits hesitantly stepped away, staying nearby as Boulder spoke softly to Medix.

"Calm down Medix...", Boulder said calmly, "you seem overwhelmed. How about we let someone else go so that you can be better prepared?"

The recruits smiled at their friend.

Medix felt beyond ashamed, his tears falling more frequently as he yells, "No! I shouldn't let my emotions get in the way of a rescue!! I'm such a failure!"

His team instantly disagreed and Boulder was doing his best to assure him that it was okay and that he needed to calm down, but Medix didn't want to hear it.

Without warning, Medix got up and ran out of the room, crying as he kept running.

As everyone called after him, Hotshot took action and ran after Medix.

"Hotshot! Come back!", Boulder yelled.

To no avail, Hotshot kept running.