Three

I was at a burger joint to get myself some burgers. I was hungry after a long tiring day. Exams were going to come up soon and my grades didn't look any better no matter how hard I tried to focus and study.

Today was Valentine's Day. Watching almost the whole burger joint filled with couples, making out and feeding each other made me lose my appetite. Still, I stuffed the burger into my mouth because I had paid for it and  forced it down my throat.

How I wished Jake was here with me. Maybe we'd be like one of the couples here, feeding each other and talking about sweet things.

I had tried convincing myself to go on living. I tried to convince myself that he wasn't coming back, he was dead, probably a skeleton by now. I never once visited his grave after the funeral. I couldn't bring myself to see it again.

It was worse enough that his parents didn't want me anywhere near them or the grave. They were ballistic when they got to know that their only son passed away, all because of a mere teenage girl and her psycho boyfriend.

After I was done eating, I immediately left. Walking down the street, I couldn't help but be bothered by the seemingly happy couples around me. I had the sudden urge to pull them apart, do something terrible to their bond or just tell them to get lost.

But I suppressed these thoughts. It wouldn't do me any good. At least they were happy. I wouldn't kill their happiness just because of my jealousy. They were so lucky to have each other. Still alive. Still so much in love.

I was starting to hate Valentine's Day.

Arriving at a deserted part of town through which their was a way to the dorm building, I was starting to feel a little chilly.

I couldn't stop thinking about Jake. I've been thinking a lot about him than I ever did before. Was there anyway he could return? If only I had a time machine, I would turn back time, be with him and ensure nobody could harm him. I would protect him from everything and we would be happy together. I would do anything to get him back, anything. I just wanted him back in my life.

How many years was I going to live like this? Like a lifeless body moving around. I didn't even want to be here. I didn't even want to do this.

I could see how Jake's absence has affected my life for the worst. And I wasn't doing anything to make it better. If it goes on like this, I don't think I can keep on living for long.

I didn't have anyone to live for anyway. My dad and mom forcefully sent me to this university to study and become an engineer when I don't want to. All they care about is themselves and their image. Seeing as I didn't have a goal in life except wail in despair, they knew they had to make a choice for me. I didn't object mainly because I no longer cared about what happened of me. It had been about four months since I had last talked to them. They haven't been much of parents to me. So what was my purpose of living? This was barely a life anyone would want to live.

"Claire," a low voice interrupted the silent night. I halted in my steps. The voice had come from behind me.

I turned around and what I saw startled me. There, hovering above the ground, was a girl. She seemed to give off a white light of her own.

"W-what are you?" I asked, my voice sounding hoarse and scratchy.

"Hi, I'm Vanessa Archer," she said, drifting closer and waving at me.

"No! Go away!" I yelled at her and shooed her with my bag which was half slung on my back.

"Hey," she said, moving back. "That's not very polite."

I screamed when she revealed a pair of wings on her back.

"Please, just listen to me," she said, coming closer again.

"No! Begone, you ghost!" I screeched at her.

"Can you please calm down for a second? I'm here to-" she was interrupted when I smacked her in the face with my bag.

"How dare you! You smacked me?!" She spit angrily and I swear I saw her eyes glow red for a second.

I screamed and ran off.

I kept running, never looking back. I ran and ran till I was tired. I hid in the narrow path between two buildings to catch my breath.

Did I really just see a ghost? I mean she did look like ghost. I could see right through her. When I smacked her with my bag, it didn't feel like my bag hit anything solid.

"Claire," I heard the same dreadful voice again. I looked around and saw her right next to me.

I raised my hand and punched her but my hand went right through her face, horrifying me.

"Can you please stop?!" She asked, annoyed.

"What are you? What do you want from me? Go away! Shoo!"

She huffed. "Don't be such a female dog! I wonder what Jake sees in you!"

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow!